Kickstands: Mid vs Rear?

GoldenMotor.com

judbgrdmchn

Aug 9, 2014
Ocala, FL
I see a lot of bikes using mid frame stands. Are they better than the rear tire mount kind? I'm looking for a safer way for my kid to get the motor going, other than a pull start.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Because of the weight and higher center of gravity of the engine, mid mounted kickstands seem to be a little more stable than a rear mount. I use center stands on mine. I like the massload kick center stand. It is made of aluminum and folds up on the left side of the bike like a kickstand. I wouldn't advise sitting or standing on the bike with the center stand down though.

Attachments

judbgrdmchn

Aug 9, 2014
Ocala, FL
But can you sit on it? Since that's the end goal, it's kind of an important feature. Today, I found out the hard way how tricky it can be to pedal, throttle, adjust choke, make a left turn, & stay upright. I need a stand so my kid doesn't relive my experience.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I guess I've never tried to turn when starting my bike....... Just pedal to a speed of around 10mph, let out the clutch while continuing to pedal. My choke lever is on the handlebar which makes it easy to slowly move it to the 'off' position.

I can see more issues trying to start these bikes on a stand rather than on the street as they were designed to do. The weight and momentum of the bike/rider actually helps you to 'turn over' the engine.

Good luck in your adventures!!

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I never ever have found it required to use the choke. Even when it is starting cold after a week of sitting in the garage all of my bike have always started within seconds of pedaling and releasing the clutch. Try it sometime. Just one less thing to do.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I never ever have found it required to use the choke. Even when it is starting cold after a week of sitting in the garage all of my bike have always started within seconds of pedaling and releasing the clutch. Try it sometime. Just one less thing to do.
Thing is, every Chinagirl is a little different. Nature of the beast. Some are more sensitive to humidity and temp, some seem to ignore it.

Sometimes they can even be temperamental and go from sensitive to ignorant and vice-versa in a single day :D

But can you sit on it? Since that's the end goal, it's kind of an important feature. Today, I found out the hard way how tricky it can be to pedal, throttle, adjust choke, make a left turn, & stay upright. I need a stand so my kid doesn't relive my experience.
A heavy-duty center stand should be able to handle a kid sitting on the bike with it deployed. Something like this:

http://www.crowcycleco.com/double-leg-kickstand-screw-adjust-black-extra-tall.html

I have one and it can handle my 225lbs, but I don't sit on it often lol

Last edited:

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I got this one on amazon for $15. I really like it and it's really sturdy so you can sit on the bike while on the stand. When I first installed it I noticed it rides pretty low to the ground, but it's so close to the bike that when leaning it won't touch the ground.

Pic of the stand.

Pic so you can see how low it looks.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
On the M-Wave, I found mine would drag around corners when folded up (that'll ofc depend on the bike...), but if you file down about 1/8" off the stops it will fold up farther, no probs cornering anymore on mine as it goes up full 90° now.