Bike recomendation needed.

GoldenMotor.com

JOBAfunky

May 21, 2014
F'n Kansas
I've got a budget of around $200 I'm 6' 4" so I'd like a larger bike. I'd also like a bike that won't take a lot of modding to put a chain drive motor on it. I'm about to hit up our local used bike shop, but if there's something new in that price range I'd rather ride shiny.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've got a budget of around $200 I'm 6' 4" so I'd like a larger bike. I'd also like a bike that won't take a lot of modding to put a chain drive motor on it. I'm about to hit up our local used bike shop, but if there's something new in that price range I'd rather ride shiny.
All I can say is don't get a $100 Huffy Cranbroke, the rear wheel bearings and coaster brake suck, and it's hard to mount a sprocket to them.

A quality coaster brake bike is fine, I like Macargi's like the Touch.
It's a bit small for you but I'm 6'2 and it's not uncomfortable to ride.

~$180 with a front C-brake.

The rear sprocket goes on easy and you can you mount the engine nice and low, down to the pedal chain guard, the seat post is the perfect angle for a level carb and they have a pretty comfy seat.

One of my staple 'cookie cutter' builds because they don't come back for repairs.

The kits flat U-bolt mount will work but I recommend you buy a muffler clamp to replace the U both for a 380 degree grab and flat spot, I use $8 SBP front mounts for a bit more flexibility (they come with a bunch of spacers and hardware) and strength but not a necessity.

Last edited:

JOBAfunky

May 21, 2014
F'n Kansas
2 questions: I've heard on here that the Macargi freasmes tend to be weaker and crack, have you seen anything to support this? And don't you need to disable the coaster brake? I imagine locking the wheel while the engine is running would be really bad.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
2 questions: I've heard on here that the Macargi freasmes tend to be weaker and crack, have you seen anything to support this? And don't you need to disable the coaster brake? I imagine locking the wheel while the engine is running would be really bad.
Steel frames with quality welds and solid back wheels is all I've seen from Macargi.

No you don't disable the coaster brake on a good coaster brake wheel!
You have to pull the brake arm to get the sprocket on but put it back on and secure it, it's your rear brake!

Note that occasionally a given brake arm may be bent a bit too close and hit the sprocket bolt heads, just put it in a vice and bend it to fit.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I feel the OP's pain, I'm the same size and bikes for us taller guys tend to come from non-department store models.

It'll be tough to find a new bike for your size with that budget. But an older used MTB would do very nicely.

Look into what kind of drivetrain you plan on running, research the size requirements of that, then find a good used tall bike you're comfortable on for a project!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I feel the OP's pain, I'm the same size and bikes for us taller guys tend to come from non-department store models.

Look into what kind of drivetrain you plan on running, research the size requirements of that, then find a good used tall bike you're comfortable on for a project!
For a big guy a 29" Macargi Fatal Love is a big stout frame for a big guy and big enough for a 4-stroke.

Even a really big 4-stroke.

~$240 if memory serves.