HS Reliability reality

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Hey folks, I've been hatching what's probably a terrible plan and I'd like someone to give me the straight dope on the Huashengs. I would like to build up one of the GT2a-s frames with the integrated tank, and a Huasheng 49cc that Gasbike/Kings is currently selling for $250, and build out a bike that I could actually, legitimately commute on in the fair weather summer days. I've got a 14 mile one way commute that is somewhat low rolling mostly along backroads. Is this just a dumb idea or can you actually rely on these motors to get you where you need to be, when run on a properly built out and maintained bike? I know I wouldn't want to rely on my 2 stroke to get me there and back. If I could actually commute on it, it would be way easier to get buy-in on the costs from my wife. Since it would be offset by gas for my truck over time. What say those with more experience than me, is this reasonable?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I would say no problem if...you.have a reliabl;le e carb.His.carbs can be.tricky.I would also want.the 4G with the clutch not build into the motor. I think its the 5/8 shaft.version.. don't remember.I had .one for years never once had a.problem Almen still riding his with 8000 miles and Carrying.a.case of beer!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I live 32 miles from my work and I have used mine to commute both ways quite a few times. The HS is, IMHO, a great little engine and is easy to maintain.

Pros: They are not likely to overheat (have a cooling fan built in), have a cast iron cylinder liner (reliable compression), are extremely fuel efficient and cheap to run.

Cons: Have less power than the 2-strokes, engine is significantly wider, carburetor may be sensitive to small particles (may require cleaning or even replacement).

I know of a couple members in here who've put over 10K miles on their Huashengs, and I've put over 8K on mine since 9/2010.
If you're gonna rely on a motorized bicycle for commuting or any kind of long distance riding, you can't do better than a proper 4-stroke IMHO

From my experience and time here in the forum, I'd say the most critical thing to worry about with a Huasheng is the transmission.
There are quite a few sellers selling 4-stroke kits with Huashengs, but many of those kits feature unreliable transmissions.

IMHO, there's only 2 choices: A 4G kit from B-E or a Q-Matic from an EZM-approved dealer. Either of those will be up to the task reliably.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Well, somewhat surprisingly, my wife is totally on board with the idea. So I just ordered up the GT2a-s, the 4g HS with the t-belt trans, and a Phantom bikes long tube exhaust for some icing on that cake. I should have enough parts around the shop to fully build. Hopefully it will warm up soon here in Maine and let me paint it up before building. This should be a fun little project!

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
If you want some info on the reliability of the hs motor I can tell ya that they're extremely very reliable. I know this because I have done quite a few long range tours with mine even though mine is with the ezm drive system. I did a 987 mile bike tour last summer on mine going from Sudbury to wallaceburg and back again to go visit killercanuk. I'm already up to the 6000 mile marker on my hs motor and the only minor issue's I had with my motor is the carb's float sticking once and a while due to the ethanol in the gas after parking the bike for a 2 week period or more, other than that it's been nothing but extremely reliable for me. BTW I was carrying a 75 lb. touring pack load on my bike as well when I went on my tour last summer. I average around 178 m.p.g. on my ezm even with the 68t touring sprocket and load on the bike. I hope you'll get as much out of your hs as I have and aleman has and azbill has gotten out of ours eh :)

xct2 cflg

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
great little motor so far for me , I have the ezm drive on it , and it cruises pretty good , I only have about 50 miles on mine ,it sat for 8 months went out the other day put gas in and started right up , wish I worked a little closer id ride that everyday ! just a fun bike , I just need a better seat Lol any ideas?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
great little motor so far for me , I have the ezm drive on it , and it cruises pretty good , I only have about 50 miles on mine ,it sat for 8 months went out the other day put gas in and started right up , wish I worked a little closer id ride that everyday ! just a fun bike , I just need a better seat Lol any ideas?
The "proper seat" question is too subjective, IMHO.

We all have diff kinds of duffs. What works for one won't work for another.

Often what works, from my exp, is a wider saddle...but again that depends on the duff. The only constant is a properly broke-in Brooks.

Brooks saddles are expensive and they take time to break in. What price you put on your duff?

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
The "proper seat" question is too subjective, IMHO.

We all have diff kinds of duffs. What works for one won't work for another.

Often what works, from my exp, is a wider saddle...but again that depends on the duff. The only constant is a properly broke-in Brooks.

Brooks saddles are expensive and they take time to break in. What price you put on your duff?
yes I hear you ! and yeah depends on the seat I guess , I have a mountain bike so I would want it to look half decent ,but then again if its comfy who cares right ,I guess anything with a spring would be a lot better then what I have now ...

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
I have this exact saddle, and let me tell ya my rear end was never sore or bummed out (heh) after a ride. Then I blew up the transmission in my bike (yay Hoot chainboxes) and then a bunch of other dumb expensive stuff happened so I haven't got her running again yet, but IMO that saddle is excellent and will support your bum in a most pleasing manner.
excellent ! thanks man!
sorry to hear about the bike !
hopefully you can get it back on the road soon! its almost like freedom when ya head out for a cruise Unless there is a cop around Hahahah!!
I got that ezm kit and im glad I did ,it pedals nice when im not running the motor, and works well when the motor is running
soon as I have the extra cash im gona get it for sure !
still need tp pick up a pedal extender for the pull start side I only have half a pedal to work with .... sucks being out of work so hopefully soon !

thanks Ooontzler for the feedback