1969 Schwinn Typhoon 99cc predator Qmatic

GoldenMotor.com

pigzilla

Jun 5, 2013
Paducah, KY
Hi all,

I built this bike in the spring and rode it all summer. It's a 1969 Schwinn Typhoon Deluxe and I installed a 99cc Predator with the Qmatic transmission.

It's been bombproof since day 1 and I just can't seem to blow it apart. I am extremely pleased with the Qmatic and I would urge anyone building a four stroke to save your pennies and do it right the first time.

I just wanted to say thanks to Quentin for making ordering the transmission easy and for the incredibly quick shipping! It really is a badass transmission.

Most everything else was handmade or modified, from the internal throttle to the handmade fuel tank, automatic chain adjuster and internally baffled exhaust. It took a lot of work to make the bike look as trim as it does.

There are lots of incredibly talented craftsmen on this site and I took a lot of ideas from them and the other builders.

So thanks for the help and inspiration.

PIG

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
pigzilla,
Nice looking build and I'm glad to hear of your good riding experiences. Just a suggestion, but having a front brake is a good thing. I know from experience that your Schwinn isn't set up to accept a cantilever brake, but Schwinn did make an adapter. I recall buying one on ebay a few years ago. It was a NOS part and not very expensive. Might be worth a look to see if you can find one. And welcome to the forum!
SB

pigzilla

Jun 5, 2013
Paducah, KY
56 tooth sprocket with a custom machined adapter to fit a bendix red stripe. Its fast as ****, but I dont have a speedo so who knows exactly how fast. I would guess in the low 40s. The throttle is from an old Honda. A bunch of the old 70's honda motorcycles had them. I just looked around Ebay until I found one still on a handlebar. I think I got mine for around 30 bucks shipped. Try and find one all together so you can see how it all works. You have to cut a wide groove in the bars. It's easy, you just need to use a piece of scrap steel to guide your cutting wheel. I used a cheap harbor freight angle grinder with a cutting wheel. I also used double sticky tape and two small clamps (one on each end) to hold the guide steel in place. Use a file to do the finishing and bobs your uncle.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Low forties sounds right. I had the same setup on my 51 Panther, then changed the rear sprocket to a 72 tooth for hill climbing capability with a sidecar. As a two wheeler without mountain climbing it was fast for sure and sounds good and throaty. Under load of circus bear, dog, sidecar and long steep hills it is still not enough power. I'm going to try to use the Q'matic transmission again but with a 147cc 2 stroke Jacobsen engine from the 1970's. This will be the third engine for that tranny. First was the Hua Sheng 50cc, (too wimpy) then the 99 Predator (just right for a two wheeler) and next up the Jacobsen. One of the nice things about a bike like yours is that we can keep tweaking things and if the paint gets looking all dogged out then we can go for a whole nother look with a different color, change the fenders, give it more power. It's our pony so we can feed it what we want. Ha!
SB

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
For a second there I thought I had gained some weight.
Turns out my jeans were only temporarily tight.

Yeah, that's a nice rig!
I might be in love. <3

pigzilla

Jun 5, 2013
Paducah, KY
Hi Silverbear,

Is your sidecar bike the one with the sweet leaf spring forks? I love that setup. I was thinking about doing similar forks on an old rollfast I have hanging in the rafters.

pigzilla

Jun 5, 2013
Paducah, KY
The Honda internal throttle is the same diameter as standard handlebars 7/8". Make sure and buy one with the handlebar so you can properly duplicate the required machining. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that it requires drilling a couple holes prior to the machining of the slot. Drill the large hole first, then use the internal fitting that comes with the throttle that fits inside the handlebar to line up the smaller hole that goes on the other side. The small hole is for a machine screw that holds the fitting, throttle tube, and end ring in place. You can run a small drill bit through the fitting once it is inserted inside the larger hole and drill the small hole from the inside of the bar. You will be drilling through the fitting itself. If you do it that way you get perfect placement of the smaller hole. Once you have the parts it should make sense. Then machine the slot after the holes are drilled.

It's easier than it sounds. Just go slow and work with a deft hand.

Attachments

Last edited: