Rag Joint/Rear Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I always work my way around the bolts so that they all come down to an even tightness and stop once the spokes are squeezed securely between the rubbers, if the nuts used are the nyloc lock nutsthey will stay put pretty good once they are snugged down.

main thing I can recommend is to tighten things down evenly, if all is even the sprocket should run true when the wheel is spinning.

Many people dog the "rag Joints" but I have yet to have an issue with and of mine, my spokes stay tight and I ride the crap outta my bikes on very dusty rough dirt roads, never oil my chains.... and I mean NEVER OIL my chains, I use a dry lube for chains, my chains and sprockets last and stay put without issue or failures of any kind.

Hope this helps HardcoreHadaway

Peace, Map

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
^^^ This works great for me also. Only thing different that I do is to 'criss-cross' the tightening pattern on the rag joint --- like torquing your lugnuts on your car.

I also use a dry lube on my chain......Blaster Garage Door Lube. Just what I happened to already have and it seems to work very well.

Last edited:

HardcoreHadaway

Jun 12, 2013
Uxbridge
Thanks very much. I have the Sprocket tight and true. I think I will check out this dry lube business. I bet less gunky build up will occur with something dry.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey Map, what kind of dry lubricant brand do you use on your chains?
I use a dry PTFE lube that is made by liquid wrench, I think the last can I bought was from Home Depot , I also use a dry chain lube that I get fom my local bike shop , it seems ok but I think I like the liquid wrench stuff the best, still running same kit chainfrom 2009 and 1600 plus miles on one bike , chain still looks goodactually I have yet to have a chain failure on any of my bike but there have been a couple kits that came with a pretty junky looking chain so I put KMC H415 on them, those are very good chains.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Thanks motorized bicycle, I blow threw chains with the shift kit on the left side. It's only 15 outer plate links counting the masterlink. I only get about 650 to700 miles before its time to change it do to the rollers are done. I hope the dry lube will give more longevity with the chain .It may not be possible to get more life out of it because if you think about it this chain is working 5 times more per revolution than direct drive setup .Tell what you think. You get that DAX running yet?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey Map, what kind of dry lubricant brand do you use on your chains?
I use a dry PTFE lube that is made by liquid wrench, I think the last can I bought was from Home Depot , I also use a dry chain lube that I get fom my local bike shop , it seems ok but I think I like the liquid wrench stuff the best, still running same kit chainfrom 2009 and 1600 plus miles on one bike , chain still looks goodactually I have yet to have a chain failure on any of my bike but there have been a couple kits that came with a pretty junky looking chain so I put KMC H415 on them, those are very good chains.