Anybody use half links ?

GoldenMotor.com

Dasmailca

Mar 20, 2013
Nova Scotia
I bought a couple of these when I bought a new chain.
I eliminated the tensioner and everything seems to work good.
The other day the chain came off ( I had enough tools with me to put it back on and got home ok. )
I am assuming that it stretched a bit and needs shortening.
I was thinking of using a half link if I can't shorten it enough to replace a whole link.
The cotter pin looks about the size of a hair. That makes me nervous.

Attachments

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there is no force on that cotter pin, so it doesn't need to be thicker

I use these, but be warned that chains are far from standardized on these bikes, so you may have to file or grind a bit to get a good fit.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I use one and haven't had any probs. I recommend coating the chain with bearing-grease; especially for these links. It'll keep them from rusting which will lead to failure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've used them with no problems. I do put the cotter pin to the outside where there's less chance of it hitting anything inside the clutch actuator cover (if you have a Chinese 2 stroke) And it's easier to see and check that the cotter pin is in good shape. As was said above there is no stress on the pin so in this case, unlike other areas, 'size doesn't matter'. :)

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I get the half links that have a real link already in 1 end, and you just use a chain breaker to push it in.

A note about 'chain stretch', links don't stretch, the center rollers and sprockets wear, I's see how a new chain fits on first, if it doesn't help no biggies, you have a spare chain.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I get the half links that have a real link already in 1 end, and you just use a chain breaker to push it in.

A note about 'chain stretch', links don't stretch, the center rollers and sprockets wear, I's see how a new chain fits on first, if it doesn't help no biggies, you have a spare chain.
I have mixed feelings about "chain stretch". I've always agreed with KC in that chains don't stretch but in fact, wear. Recently I bought a #41 chain from Grainger and on the box it clearly stated that the chain was "pre-stretched".
I was curious and contacted the manufacturer and asked exactly what they meant by their chains being pre stretched.

Their answer was that their chains were placed under a heavy load to "seat" all of the chain components so that when installed it would be as long as it would get until wear in the parts began to show in chain slack. Supposedly a new chain if not "pre-stretched" will loosen when initially installed due to the parts, pins, rollers, side plates finding their stressed position.
To be honest I'm not 100% convinced that this is true as much as a marketing ploy used by chain manufacturers to make their product sound better than the competition.

Any thougths?

Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I have mixed feelings about "chain stretch". I've always agreed with KC in that chains don't stretch but in fact, wear. Recently I bought a #41 chain from Grainger and on the box it clearly stated that the chain was "pre-stretched".
I was curious and contacted the manufacturer and asked exactly what they meant by their chains being pre stretched.

Their answer was that their chains were placed under a heavy load to "seat" all of the chain components so that when installed it would be as long as it would get until wear in the parts began to show in chain slack. Supposedly a new chain if not "pre-stretched" will loosen when initially installed due to the parts, pins, rollers, side plates finding their stressed position.
To be honest I'm not 100% convinced that this is true as much as a marketing ploy used by chain manufacturers to make their product sound better than the competition.

Any thougths?

Tom
I tried to share the same exact info here a while ago and some people kinda chanted me down, "chains don't stretch" I was told. I said, "ok, then call it an initial elongation"! If a chain is not put under load at the factory and stressed enough for all of the pins to seat you will get an initial "stretch" when the chain is put under heavy load in the field. Once the chain has gone through this initial stretching it should be at its final length until the parts start to wear down, at that point the chain is pretty much toast. The kit chains are not pre-stretched and so poorly manufactured that the initial elongation is pretty noticeable, the #41 industrial chain I have is built so solid and pre-stretched/stressed at the factory so initial elongation is pretty much non existent.
When I switched to #41 chain I was made aware of this when I noticed the industrial chain said it was "pre-stressed" (I'm pretty sure thats the wording they used). I must say, I put that chain on my motorized bicycle without a tensioner and have put nearly 2,000 miles on it so far and the length hasn't changed one bit. I was told that I need to run the tensioner so I can tighten the chain, yada yada yada. IMHO the chain should serve me for many a mile before that happened and when it did the chain would be pretty much spent and replaced. So far I am turning out to be correct, I have no chain tension issues whatsoever, 2,000 miles and still running....