Looking for guidance with new build

GoldenMotor.com

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Hey guys,
I'm looking to build a new 4 stroke commuter bike.
I want to be able to ride every day, and I have a few priorities:

-CONSISTENT daily performance.
-reliability.
-durability.
-heat endurance/performance (it's usually 90-95 F w/ 80% humidity here)
-an average cruising speed of 25 mph (30 would be GREAT) without very high
revs.

Note: I weigh 200 lbs and this is going on a Micargi Stealth.

Mainly, I want to get away from the inconsistency I had with the 2 stroke. It would run great one day, bad the next, then ok the next week. And I could never figure out why.

So, aside from buying a full fledged scooter, can the Grubee 4 Stroke HS kit or the EZM Q Matic give me what I'm looking for?

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I have a 4 stroke 4G kit on an old Walmart cruiser. So far, it is very reliable and a joy to ride. I think it would meet most of your requirements.

Mine came with a 48t sprocket. I can cruise at 20mph all day with gusts to 25. Honestly, it's revving out pretty good at 25mph with that gearing. You are about 80lbs lighter than me, so you could probably run a taller gear, but take offs could be a problem.

I think all your requirements could easily be met with the Huasheng 49cc engine and a shifter kit like from SBP.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I run EZ drives. My latest is on a 99cc Predator. I've had it up to 46 mph & it cruises all day at 40 mph. I've run these drives for years with no problems.

Darrell_gc

Jun 5, 2012
Tacoma Washington
I have a 4 stroke 4G kit on an old Walmart cruiser. So far, it is very reliable and a joy to ride. I think it would meet most of your requirements.

Mine came with a 48t sprocket. I can cruise at 20mph all day with gusts to 25. Honestly, it's revving out pretty good at 25mph with that gearing. You are about 80lbs lighter than me, so you could probably run a taller gear, but take offs could be a problem.

I think all your requirements could easily be met with the Huasheng 49cc engine and a shifter kit like from SBP.
Hi, I just bought the HS four stroke kit and have not yet assembled it. I've been reading in reviews that a common problem is a bearing of some sort that seems to come apart after the first mile or so, my kit will arrive some time this week, frankly, I'm a little nervous. what should I be prepared for ?

Darrell_gc

Jun 5, 2012
Tacoma Washington
Hi, I just bought the HS four stroke kit and have not yet assembled it. I've been reading in reviews that a common problem is a bearing of some sort that seems to come apart after the first mile or so, my kit will arrive some time this week, frankly, I'm a little nervous. what should I be prepared for ?

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Darrell, you may or may not have the bearing people are talking about. It is a 'one-way' bearing in the large pulley driven by the centrifugal clutch. I do not have this bearing in my 4G kit. On my kit, the freewheel is a 12t located on the same shaft as the large pulley. It drives the rear wheel sprocket.

If yours is like mine, you should make sure to lube it well and make it a regular maintenance item. Mine has lasted 300 miles so far with no sign of failure. Of course, they don't give you any warning anyway.

So look at your transmission to see if you have this bearing. It was a good idea, but poorly executed.

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'll make sure to check that bearing, also.

I would love to run a 99cc. I found one at harbor freight for $110 just the other day. But, I ride by several police officers on my daily route, and I think they'll notice if it's bigger than 50cc, lol.

I'm leaning toward the HS kit, maybe upgrading the transmission to the EZM if the stock one becomes unreliable.

I also have the HD Axle that I'm going to have spoked onto the rear wheel, I hear that'll help with durability (and speed?)

Has anyone used the full 4 stroke kit from EZM? How does their motor stack up to the HS?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have an EZM kit. The engine is an HS, they use the same one. The Honda engine is optional.
I do not have much time on it yet, but so far I am very happy with the EZM kit.

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Excellent,

I think I'm going for an EZM kit. Reliability and a steady cruising speed in the mid-twenties are the main priorities for me. I'd rather pay to have a reliable one than pay to MAKE it reliable.

So, where's a good place to get one. Besides jbcruisin's site- that's definitely in the running :)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Gunslinger,,,I think I just replied to your email :)

I try not to reply to kit questions here unless they are specifically directed at or about EZM, I have been accused of bias in the past, and don't want admin/moderator troubles !!! ;)

that being said, I had 17k miles on my original kit (pre-production prototype) with only a clutch bell and belts that I replaced (<100$) :)

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
I just got a HS kit with an EZM transmission and I am pretty happy with it so far. I have been riding it for a week now, you can check out my build thread if you want to see more details on it. I chose the ezm because I read about all the problems with those bearings and decided to pay a little more and be worry free, and have the option to use it on some larger motors.

I have a 48t sprocket, and it is pretty slow off the line, I have to pedal it until 10mph before it starts to pull me. I thought that would be ok since I'm only about 165 lbs. I'm not sure if my clutch needs to break in a little more or if that's how it's going to be. I have about 70 miles on it now. It can't compete with a 2 stroke off the line, that's for sure, although the top end is much smoother and faster. It purrs at 30 without breaking a sweat. If it doesn't get better I'll get a bigger sprocket and see how that rides.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I weigh the same as you & I run a 56 tooth sprocket. That's the standard size with the HS engine. with the 56 you won't have to pedal & will still cruise all day at 30 mph