Newbie needing good advice for build

GoldenMotor.com

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
2 weeks ago I got a beat up china girl from my son. I fixed it up and got it running. I am now hooked. I have a bit of a heart problem so I can not exert myself too much so this is really a godsend for me. I can pedal till I get winded or heart gets tired and then let the motor take over.

I want bigger, faster and more reliable now. I am thinking of doing a 2000 mile+ trip this summer so reliable is really important. I have spent countless hours surfing and am all the more confused now. There are so many choices and sooooo many opinions.

I was thinking of Dax's xc50S with his friction drive but wonder if that has quite enough power and speed for me as a lot of my driving for my trip would be in the Rocky Mountains and would also like to cruise at about 35 mph {on the flat, not while going up the mountains...} without bagging the motor either way. Keeping in mind I am 200lbs and would be bringing 50 lbs of gear.

Looking at the threads the predator 99
http://www.harborfreight.com/predat...d-for-all-states-except-california-68124.html
seems great but am not sure of the horsepower on it or if it could handle 8 hours a day of 35 mph reliably. Also being in Canada I am worried about getting parts in case of a breakdown. Also I can't go too huge as around here the cops can get a bit funny so I need to be able to at least be able to say, "of course it's only a 49cc" with at least somewhat of a straight face...

I also have no idea how to mount it or what other hardware I would need. I am thinking it might be a bit too big and too much hassle for frame mount so rear mount might be the way to go???

Is my logic on this right? Is there something better for me for $500-00ish or less? If I go with the predator what is the best mounting system and where can I go to get it? {URL's please}

Thanks in advance for your help! xct2

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum (^) Since you posted in the 4-stroke section, I'm gonna suggest you get a 4-stroke.....but that's what I would suggest anyway. If you are good mechanically, build a 99cc Predator from Harbor Freight, it will have all the power and reliability you could want from an engine. If not, get a 4-stroke kit that uses the HS 49cc or Honda GXH 50cc engines.....you'll be glad ya did.

Happy motoring!

dnut

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
Welcome to the forum (^) Since you posted in the 4-stroke section, I'm gonna suggest you get a 4-stroke.....but that's what I would suggest anyway. If you are good mechanically, build a 99cc Predator from Harbor Freight, it will have all the power and reliability you could want from an engine. If not, get a 4-stroke kit that uses the HS 49cc or Honda GXH 50cc engines.....you'll be glad ya did.

Happy motoring!

dnut
Thanks, but how would I mount it? Is there a kit available from someone?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
For a trip like yer talking about a 4 stroke is the only way to go, Unless you want to carry a spare 2 stroke with you. As a general rule, 2 strokes have more power but are much less reliable. 4 strokes have less power but, (again, as a rule) last longer. Whatever you decide I do have one suggestion for you. Buy the most comfortable seat you can find. 2000 miles is a lot of time on yer bum.cvlt1
fatdaddy.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
lol......just to back yanks statement up heres a pic of my Predator build.....if you pay attention to pic #3 you will see what I put on as my motor mount....it was probably overkill, but its a piece of 1/4" flat bar steel I had hangin around the property here. Of course I welded it in just to make extra sure it would move where I didnt want....lol...but you could probably get away with using some 3/16" flat bar as long as its wide enough......MAKE SURE YOU DRILL YOUR MOUNTING HOLES IN THE RIGHT PLACE......and have fun!!!!!......once you do it you will be very proud.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38434

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
lol......just to back yanks statement up heres a pic of my Predator build.....if you pay attention to pic #3 you will see what I put on as my motor mount....it was probably overkill, but its a piece of 1/4" flat bar steel I had hangin around the property here. Of course I welded it in just to make extra sure it would move where I didnt want....lol...but you could probably get away with using some 3/16" flat bar as long as its wide enough......MAKE SURE YOU DRILL YOUR MOUNTING HOLES IN THE RIGHT PLACE......and have fun!!!!!......once you do it you will be very proud.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38434
That'll work.
fatdaddy.