help ID this bike

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
yes, its a barn find, still has cattle manure under the fenders. someone ripped off the badge in the front. the guy who i got it from said hes had it since early 1950's

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You provided good pics. Somebody on this site should be able to ID it. If not, try ratrodbikes.com. That seatpost is skinny!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
With the skiptooth chain, and the skinny seatpost, I would say it's an early 40's but prolly late 30's. The frame wth the rear dropouts and the parallel bent tubes looks like a standard Columbia frame of the day.
I've got one real similar, and I won't motorize it!

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey Guys!
Just because it is a skip tooth does'nt brand it to a specific make or model, however it does have a lot of of characteristic's of a pre-war Huffman, even schwinn outsourced parts and made products for other companies under a different brand name.
Do some research on pre-war (1936-1941) Huffman bikes and you'll see a big resemblance in the bikes.
What ever you have it is one clean bike !! I would'nt do any up dated mods to it, restore or refurbish only and retain the value

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I'd put money on the fact that it is a CWC Cleveland Welding Bicycle. They made bikes for other companies that re-badged them. They also made some bikes for ward (Hawthorne). Cleveland and Hawthorne used that sprocket.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
ill take a pic of the front 1st thing in the morning. i bought this bike just so i could motorize it, but now im having 2nd thoughts :/

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not motorize it? Well, it's up to you ofc - but TBH while 40's era men's bikes are in some demand - they aren't usually particularly valuable, even a skiptooth. While I don't think it's a 40's Rollfast like mine pictured below & who knows what it could bring given the madness that is ebay and the like... I do know you can usually find not dissimilar bikes for roughly a hundred bucks or so with some looking.

Given just how perfect they are for motorizing in both style & strength and the fact you can do so without damaging or permanently altering the frame... well, what I'd recommend is prolly pretty obvious lol;

Last edited:

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Not motorize it? Well, it's up to you ofc - but TBH while 40's era men's bikes are in some demand - they aren't usually particularly valuable, even a skiptooth. While I don't think it's a 40's Rollfast like mine pictured below & who knows what it could bring given the madness that is ebay and the like... I do know you can usually find not dissimilar bikes for roughly a hundred bucks or so with some looking.

Given just how perfect they are for motorizing in both style & strength and the fact you can do so without damaging or permanently altering the frame... well, what I'd recommend is prolly pretty obvious lol;

That's the coolest china bike I've seen, but it realy wouldn't do too much to motorise your frame, you gotta remember its good 'ol chicago steel, and if its survived this long it will go for a while longer!