Coaster Break noise?

GoldenMotor.com

bigben77

Jul 2, 2008
Edmonds, WA
I just converted my Schwinn Jaguar seven speed wheel to a steel coaster break one speed. My concern is the strange clicking/grinding noise coming from the sprocket on the bicycle side. I took the wheel off to adjust, I loosened the tension on the nuts next to the cones and the noise is gone and wheel spins nice and smooth. I reinstal wheel and and noise and grinding return! Are my nuts too tight? Is my new wheel defective? I have not ridden a coaster break bike in 25 years, is this normal?:crash:

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
I just converted my Schwinn Jaguar seven speed wheel to a steel coaster break one speed. My concern is the strange clicking/grinding noise coming from the sprocket on the bicycle side. I took the wheel off to adjust, I loosened the tension on the nuts next to the cones and the noise is gone and wheel spins nice and smooth. I reinstal wheel and and noise and grinding return! Are my nuts too tight? Is my new wheel defective? I have not ridden a coaster break bike in 25 years, is this normal?:crash:
are you using a cone wrech to hold cone nut when you tighten to keep excess pressure off the bearing if not they will grown and grind???? and do the bearing need some grease???

Last edited:

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
not usually you local bike store should have them. you can even take an old wrench and file it down so that it fits on the skinny flat edges of the cone nut while you tigten the nut on the outside. so you dont compress the bearings in the hub or a skinny pair of needle nose pliers