NT Carb Stuck Barrel Diagnosed!!!

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
So, I just killed my NT carb in a sense. It still works, but it's cracked where it tightens on the intake.

When it's tightened too far, the barrel won't go in. When it's loosened, the barrel will go in, but you can only tighten it to a certain point before the barrel sticks, giving the illusion that the throttle cable is sticking.

I hope this helps people in the future!

But, in the meantime, how should we FIX this? (and getting a new NT carb is NOT a fix, it's a workaround.)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
When the clamp is tightened (loosened?) up to where the slide will still work, is the carb too loose on the manifold? If so, try making strips of thin aluminum out of a soda or beer can and inserting them in between the manifold and carb spigot to shim the gap.
Use a full wrap around the manifold if you can to minimize air leaks. If you cannot do that, use Black RTV silicone and what ever shim you can get to fit and glue the darned thing onto the end of the manifold. It will look odd, but should work.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
It's tight enough that it isn't falling off, but it's loose enough that I know it wouldn't hold up more than 20 miles. I don't have any black RTV left until I get paid, so I will be teflon taping it until then.

I like the aluminum shim idea - I'll get on that one. I'll edit a pic into the first post later tonight.