Thumbs ... in my Computer.?

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Searching through files I seem to keep coming across what's called a "data base file" entitled Thumbs. It says it was created Jan. 30, 2009 ... which would be years after I bought this computer. If I try to delete it I get a pop up that says something like "This is a system file. If you delete it some of your programs might not work properly." I never created this file and don't know what it does. The icon for it seems to "escape" from my Recycle Bin and appear in different folders in My Documents (unless I pushed a wrong button or something).

Anyone know if I should be worried or not? It seems harmless ... but annoying. :confused:

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Searching through files I seem to keep coming across what's called a "data base file" entitled Thumbs. It says it was created Jan. 30, 2009 ... which would be years after I bought this computer. If I try to delete it I get a pop up that says something like "This is a system file. If you delete it some of your programs might not work properly." I never created this file and don't know what it does. The icon for it seems to "escape" from my Recycle Bin and appear in different folders in My Documents (unless I pushed a wrong button or something).

Anyone know if I should be worried or not? It seems harmless ... but annoying. :confused:
I am not an computer savvy , but I know a lot of tech’s (no software companies mentioned ) he bought an lap top for over $3000,00 and wound up throwing it in the trash , he said if they tuck the right bug in your computer bios you will never get it out , I have spy sweeper and , that’s about all I can say about that, unless we stay off line . I would say unless you get the dreaded black screen you are O.K . Watch what sites you go to and look for veri sign when you can . They tend to be better sites. Try to shred or incinerate the file if you got the software . Or you can remove it if you know how to use dos . Probably some crazy advertising gimmick left over

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Like Ilikeabikea mentioned - thumbs.db files are not only harmless, but are supposed to be there kicking (they reduce load times when using "thumbnail view" in your folders), other than that I'd strongly advise NOT just "shredding or incinerating" files just because you don't know what they are.

...and DOS is dead like the dinos lol

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Lol

o_O

Like Ilikeabikea mentioned - thumbs.db files are not only harmless, but are supposed to be there kicking (they reduce load times when using "thumbnail view" in your folders), other than that I'd strongly advise NOT just "shredding or incinerating" files just because you don't know what they are.

...and DOS is dead like the dinos lol
shows how old these dino bones are geting , and i have been online since prodigy if you are that old lol . the web back then was just an bunch of nosey spys seeing where you went and looking in your computer lol no doubt in my mind , i have an slave 500 gig hard drive back up on my computer . so i shread , incinerate , like there is no tommaro , its fun ! i have an block on my p.c so there is no need for secure software but im loaded and locked down . i cant even get PMs lol / i was wondering why my dos prop was funny looking , and no c+ either / i need to get with the compter wizs that have been around since egg head . i am an nerd at heart , i love getting viruses and spy ware , it si exciting to me , to see if i can get rid of them . i allways wanted to be 007 since an kid . i know an tech that got the black screen , i love to flont my skills lol

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
Thumbs.db is just like desktop.ini - the system makes the file when it feels the need. I have always deleted those files with impunity and the delete never causes a problem.