Home Made Trailer Hitch Bike Rack

GoldenMotor.com

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Hey Guys,

Now that i have the chopper with all the DOT attachments and such, I needed a better bike rack, the original one i have can hold 3 regular bikes up to 100 lbs. Well that was fine until i added the chopper the mix. With my chopper and 4 stroke cruiser i was overloading the rack by 50 lbs (uh oh). Well on my trip to PA last year, due to oscillating roads i bent the rack ever so slightly. enough to make me not feel confident.

So last weekend, i deciced to try out my welding skills and made a platform style bike rack. It holds one bike perfectly and i am designing bolt on attachments so it can carry upto three motorized bikes

Here are the pics
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DdqP5UsPr8ffKHJdm5-QSA?feat=directlink

and here is the album
https://picasaweb.google.com/hselomein/TrailerHitchBikeRack?feat=directlink

Enjoy!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very clever. I'm in the design stage for a rack to carry two MBs on the back, or front of my Ford Ranger. I don't have a hitch receiver but I do have a wide step bumper with a hitch ball hole. I'm thinking along the lines of your design. Thanks for the ideas.
Tom

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
if you have a bumper with a hitchball hole, it can accept an adapter for the square hitch reciever, it bolts under the bumper. Your bumper will hold the weight

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just saw this one on Craig's List here in Denver. I wouldn't buy it but I like the design. It is made for dirt bikes but would be perfect for an MB. I think I'll copy the design.
Tom

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Were those gas cans under the rack while you welded. I am a novice welder and I'm always terrified of gas near my welding. I once set a pile of leave on fire beside my back door. I left but my neighbor saw them and stamped them out for me.

ps love the bike and the rack.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Yes those are propane tanks, i gotta heat the garage. But no i did the welding outside, i did the painting inside next to the tanks. And also too the pics inside as it was night time. But yeah scary thought welder next to propane :)