Light Weight, Well Sorta

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Just finished this one up to the ride stage. Wanted to build an ultralight weight, but bad weight management got me. Came in at 49lbs, was shooting for the low 40s. I weigh 170, so the AUW is not too bad. This is my first HS/Grubee set up. For the most part I like it. Geared like it, is tops close to 35. Was amazed at the power the little HS has. Will pull off pretty easily from stop(though I normally pedal it off), and once rolling the accleration is amazing. Most of the build is welded, mounts etc. Certainly not a looker, was built for function and reliability and to be an every day rider. Should look ok when painted though. Plan to ride it all summer to shake it out and paint it this winter.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah the fuel tank is the culprit, its made from 3" exhaust tube and its pretty heavy. I should have drilled lightning holes in the sprocket but didnt. I may be able to shave a pound or so off when I pull it down to paint it(probably gain it back in paint). When you mentioned yours 1/2 full of fuel, I forgot mines full to the neck to check for leaks. holds 116oz I checked capacity carefully when I filled the tank with the etching cleaner before Kreeming it, so the empty weight is not as bad as I thought. An old mechanic I worked with as a kid always said "takin off weight is like bolting on horsepower". A good rule to live by.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
It's a nice build. I like that pedal chain adjuster. Did you design that yourself?
Jay
Yeah, its a bracket off a timing belt idler off the wifes car. I really never wanted to use the wheel as adjustment especially with a coaster brake, It is all the way back in the frame, and all I have to do is move the idlers. The plastic idler is from the kit, it actually gets very little use, when it gives up I intend to replace it with a sealed bearing and just let the chain run on the outer race. I just came in from putting some miles on this bike and I am impressed. Its hill climb ability is amazing. About the only thing I dont like is the one way in the drive pulley.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
If I could adjust my pedal chain I always figured I could get rid of my chain adjuster on the drive side. I only use the pedal chain for braking.
Jay

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Works good so far, when applying the brake the load is on the idler unlike when pedaling, so the bracket should be subtantial. I have really stood on the brake to see what would happen seems to hang in there. I expect the plastic idler to fail, but who knows. Wanna see how long it takes. Any way chain adjudtment is a breeze.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Works good so far, when applying the brake the load is on the idler unlike when pedaling, so the bracket should be subtantial. I have really stood on the brake to see what would happen seems to hang in there. I expect the plastic idler to fail, but who knows. Wanna see how long it takes. Any way chain adjustment is a breeze.
I had considered that & wondered whether I should put the idler on the top or bottom.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you only pedal occasionally like for starting off and such the top should be fine, heck might be fine anyway. The idler on the engine chain is a Snapper idler pulley, they are under pretty good tension in the mower and run for many years. What I guess I am saying is I dont think it matters, if using a good quality idler or bearing. I just mounted the plastic one to see if it would take the load, an experiment.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Kings Motorbikes, they had some kind of super sale they kept bombarding my email with til I bought it. It a super engine, and a good kit. The ratio with the supplied kit(44t) was perfect for what I built. I wish I could have gone for the EZM, but just didnt have the $$$. For the money I spent on this I am well pleased, just dont like the oneway bearing set up.