a rather odd way to mount a strimmer/weedwacker

GoldenMotor.com

nathandance1996

Aug 24, 2010
bognor regis, UK
I've just bought a strimmer and found a good way to mount an engine with friction drive,
it combines the advantage of front wheel drive a rear wheel drive, you have the shaft moving along the bike frame from the front (overhanging the front wheel) down to the tire with friction drive, you don't need to change the strimmer in any way so it's quite a good idea for commuting

cvlt1 brflg scratg

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
So you mount a wheel instead of the trimmer head. Would only work with the geared head trimmer. But the geared part is not at a right angle to the frame and not square with the tire. Maybe have the shaft and motor go thru the frame on a angle to compensate for the drive wheel not being at the right angle.

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
Try replacing the flex shaft with a solid steel shaft. I built a boat motor using a solid shaft weed whacker.

Erich

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Kevin, It looks like its dangeling but it's proven itself pretty solid. I've used it successfully on 3 or 4 different projects.

The first bike was my daughter's 20 inch bike. That's where it was proven to be reliable. The kids rode the daylights out of that thing for 2 years, till they wore out the bike. Used it on several other projects, never had ANY trouble with the engine 'cept for a couple of carb rebuilds
I'll re-post some more pix in a while, my net runnin slow right now

Attachments

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Beyond the engineering involved, I wonder how the bike would handle with a frame mounted engine in front of the handlebars. . . Good or bad it'd have to be a unique experience.

kev1n

Sep 25, 2009
wisconsin
Hey Kevin, It looks like its dangeling but it's proven itself pretty solid. I've used it successfully on 3 or 4 different projects.

The first bike was my daughter's 20 inch bike. That's where it was proven to be reliable. The kids rode the daylights out of that thing for 2 years, till they wore out the bike. Used it on several other projects, never had ANY trouble with the engine 'cept for a couple of carb rebuilds
I'll re-post some more pix in a while, my net runnin slow right now
Wayne, your setup is awesome to say the least! It's the perfect way to use the clutch and not have the engine at a 90 degree angle. I'll be looking forward to some more pics. Is that setup hinged so you can get the roller off the wheel?

Thanks Kevin

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yes it's hinged on a single 1/4" bolt,with a beam clamp holding it in positon. I never refined it enough to make the hinge operable with controls.
Here's more pix, but the first one in the other post has the most detail.

DSC_1363.JPG

Last edited: