A rattling sound coming from my engine?

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Im hearding a rattling sound comming from my engine. Im not to sure what the problems is. To be honest I wasnt really nice to this engine.I just mixed fuel by sense.

What can I do about this? Im not a pro at taking apart these engines though. I still heard the noise when I was riding at high rpms... Its not REALLY loud, but its noticable. Someone told me that its probally the piston ring that is worn down?. From this engine on im treating SO much better!! I learned my lesson! I only had about 250 miles on it sofar. But it still pulls really hard though. No loss in performance, just that rattling sound!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That is the connector between the piston and the rod. The bronze bushing gets some freeplay in it and it rattles. Sounds ominous, but I had one bike for over 1000 miles that rattled since new.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
it might not even be the engine, on my bike everything rattled, the gas tank lid, the handlebar joints, all of it,

if it is the engine than ya its probly your wrist pin, my bike ratled for 2000kms, it didnt bother me, it got so loud at the end i needed ear plugs, but no big deal, if it runs it runs, but dont mix the fuel by chance, i always make sure im 100% on my mix,

MeatCarcass

Aug 24, 2010
New Orleans
Im having a similar problem. Im starting to think it might be from the chain. is it possible the chaingear is set too close to the engine causing the side of the chain to scrape against it?

FlyingSchwinn

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
Just take the baffle out of the muffler and pack as much red grease as you can into the area around the crank bevel gear and the sound will get quieter. Do the engines being currently manufactured still have wristpin bushings? Getting me kind of worried.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Just take the baffle out of the muffler and pack as much red grease as you can into the area around the crank bevel gear and the sound will get quieter. Do the engines being currently manufactured still have wristpin bushings? Getting me kind of worried.
All 5 that I've bought over the past 14 months have caged roller bearings. Ordered #6 for my son 3 days ago, we'll see as I tear into the engine to make pre install mods.

MeatCarcass

Aug 24, 2010
New Orleans
It could just be the chainguard. The front of it (the part that bolts to the engine case) is connected to the back with a single cheap rivet. My chainguard fell apart one day while riding. I removed it and went on my way. If that rivet is failing, you may hear the two pieces of the chainguard rattling against each other.
I'm positive its not the chainguard. the chain broke the other day, i think its cuz the gear is too close to the engine, and the rivets in the chain are klanking against the motor as it turns. i've tried to remove the chaingear to set it, but i cand get that nut off of the clutch assembly...

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey high rpm rattlings are abit normal for these cheap engines.....let it go and when something does break youll know it....destruction is part of creation right?