Starting a Boardtracker Project

GoldenMotor.com

BenjaminJB

Sep 23, 2010
England
I'm keen to get to work on a Boardtracker, I'd like to go close to the specs of the original models with frame design, engine style/displacement and overall look. I attached a picture of the look I am going for below. I've been Googling for weeks and can't find any kits or welding plans but this forum kept popping up in my search results, I'd like to know how you all got started? I can weld reasonably well but I wouldn't know where to start with the design, are there blueprints or plans available online?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

:)

Ben

Attachments

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
If you want a board track racer replica you will need to make your own plans or find dimensions from original stock frames.
Most you will see on this site are simply "rockabilly" bikes labeled as board trackers. Making one with true proportions will often mean the 50cc engines used will be too small or, at best, silly looking.
Break the mold and create something different! If you weld, there is no reason you cannot cut tubing, notch it by hand, and come up with something that looks the part. Just keep it all straight while assembling. Jigs can be one-time use and need not be elaborate.

Remember, a simple cantilever bicycle frame painted black with flipped bars does NOT a board track racer make!

JMO,
Dave
KC

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Thank you! I thought that I was the only one with that sentiment here.
I think it is safe to say that these "Motorized Bicycles" are not Boardtrack Motorcycles. Having built several boardtrack style bikes I think the term is not meant to be a "True" bike but, one that is inspired by the boardtrack era.

Last edited:

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Sorry to hijack.
Red, This might be true in practice but if we moved "Vintage Motorized Bicycles" into it's own forum, the remaining "Board Trackers" forum would still be full of these Rockabilly bikes. We've misled and confused the issue way too much IMO. I think one needs to step back and look at what is what. Why not call them "50s inspired", "hot rod inspired" or "cafe racer inspired"? Would they look any different? Doubt it.
I keep visiting MB to see if someone has come up with anything different and it still tends to be the same stuff. I doubt anyone can deny this.
I'm sure I'll get the "hey not everyone can afford to build a dream machine" speel but as it stands I feel it would take a great stretch of imagination for most to replicate the proportions of what has already been modeled for us 100 yrs ago. Most would rather fall in line and follow a tribute.... of a tribute..... of a tribute. In the end they look more like bicycles than ever IMO.
There are those few taking those leaps and the extra steps to make something special even if not powered by a 50cc. A couple of yours have met this mark. You know it isn't easy and your efforts should be noted. I suggest the "Board Tracker" label should be reserved for those builds and not for just any $100 bike build no matter how it's inspired. Those show up in every other forum here.
I have seen a few have a great following but they eventually don't fit in. Many here simply will not pay what it takes to build these specials. It is no different than a custom motorcycle build in practice.
Benjamin,
There are stories to inspire here so don't give up. I'm not necessarily one of them but if you would like to read my blog, it will deal with many of the frustrations of doing this. There are plenty of things I would have done differently and I am planning another build to address them. Nonetheless, I feel it is closer to what you are considering than a basic bicycle frame.

Boardtrack Replica

Dave
Kansas City, USA

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I saw a site someone listed on a thread the other day with the business making repli- bikes w/motors that looked like old drop loupe(round crank-case) motors,,,I would think you would need to deside on the power plant and design the frame around that

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
dmar836...

Although in many ways I agree with you and in fact greatly admire your work - the truth of the matter is it all depends on perspective. Your Cyclone replica is a fine build and an excellent tribute... but it's not even remotely a motorized bicycle using any definition as exacting as yours.

So therein lays the rub, do we hold to the standards that would be entailed in a "true" boardtrack replica which would most likely result in a completely illegal and by today's standards - "unrideable" machine?

Do we hold to the standards as defined by a "motorized bicycle"?

We do of course keep an eye on this and every other subforum, we move threads when they're obviously in an inappropriate location, it's true that quite often what someone perceives their build to be doesn't fit the definition as outlined & we'll gently point out that discrepancy... but those very definitions are hazy in the extreme save one - motorbicycling. Which I believe was the point RedB66 was trying to make & oddly enough, your fine Cyclone is in some ways as out of place here as a Chopper would be in 'Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes' lol

Some of the earliest boardtrackers & motorcycles were but bicycles with an engine on them, some of the later ones had evolved far beyond their humble origins. Not all had drop loop frames, not all were stretched, not all of them even had the classic "upside down" handle bars or pedals for that matter... so beyond some broad generalities we take what comes & wait for the occasional gem to stand out from the crowd while learning a bit here and there no matter the "style" or inspiration...

As it is with any hobby ;)

I would like to remind anyone whom feels something is out of place or inappropriate that you may of course use the "report post" feature, it doesn't hafta be a direct violation of our rules or even negative to warrant a report, it can be simple notification bringing a minor discreptancy to our attention, such as a bike in the wrong subforum. Do also feel free to Private Message any one of our staff members anytime - often this will allow us to gently intervene without inferred insult or offense and helps topics from getting derailed. Another option is of course starting a thread in 'Suggestions' if you wish.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
BarelyAWake, you sir truely are a "Super Moderator" eloquently pointing out what was running through my mind. Board Track "Inspired" Motorized Bicycles...

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
I don't disagree at all. My post was specific to the original question and pic posted by Ben. Many will post such a pic and end up with a rockabilly build. Their choice but I was simply stating what is needed and what can be done. He mentioned welding which is one of the achilles heels of many builders. That opens him up to a different type of build if he wanted. I do believe the spirit is the same yet the results quite different.
Long before "China Girl" engines the motorized bicycles used Briggs and other horizontal shaft engines. Legal or not, they fit the bill. Sure, mine is over the top by some standards but I don't think to it's shame as a motorized bicycle. Without a specific forum for such builds, we all gather here.
As for the legality part, as a road cyclist, motorcycle rider, and auto driver, I would classify the "typical build" as being legal only by technicality and certainly not by safety standards or build standards. I would not take one onto the streets of Kansas City on a regular basis but that's just me.
As I stated in there somewhere, it is just my opinion - nothing more.
Your moderating is appreciated and I mean to take nothing from the board.
Dave