Need Some basic help

GoldenMotor.com

whitewidow

Nov 29, 2009
San Jose
I need help installing the heavy duty chain I just bought on my motorbike. I have watched videos on youtube, but all of the chains shown in the video are already disconnected. My chain came connected to itself. There is a masterlink, but I am not sure how to get it off, and I am afraid to ruin the Heavy Duty chain I just bought. I have the link break tool, I am just not sure how to do this and am afraid I will somehow screw it up. Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:-||:-||:-||:-||

whitewidow

Nov 29, 2009
San Jose
Damn I think I messed it up. I took out one link too many. I'm extremely frustrated with this right now... I just want to ride my bike. I think I'm going to have to just take it to the bike shop and get it done right.

Did I ruin the cahin by taking out too many links? I might have to order another one...$20 down the drain

whitewidow

Nov 29, 2009
San Jose
Yea thats what I thought too, but the link with the pin out will not fit the current tool I am using. I even had to use a vice, just to keep the tool from slipping of the chain when trying to remove a pin(every time i turned i tightened the tool the pin on the tool would come off line from the pin on the chain

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
When starting to put a pin back into the links, high precision is needed where the pin has to be very perpendicular to the link and inline as much as possible with the pushing tool. It aint easy but can be done with attention..

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
When you shorten the chain you are suposed to leave it a little long and use the chain tensioner to tighten it. So if your chain still fits on ,loosen up the tensioner.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
There are a couple of options, you can buy a half link. It's similar to a master link but one end goes over the narrow part of the chain and the other end goes into the master link. You can also drive the pin back into the chain with a pair of needle nose pliers and a small hammer. Lay the chain on a hard surface, hold the pin over the hole in the chain with the pliers as straight as you can and tap it back in. Best bet, buy a good quality chain breaker, they aren't as expensive as a new chain and you'll need it anyway.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
If you still have the links that you took off, you can just buy another master link and connect some more links to your chain, walmart has a chain breaker with master link for $5 or chain with master link for $7 or you can buy just a master link at a bike shop or hardware store for like $2.

I am using one master link on my engine chain and two master links on my peddle side chain.
They work fine, just make sure the closed end of the master link faces the direction the chain travels.

Last edited: