mixing at the gas station

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
im using my standard 2L tank and im a little concerned about running out of gas,has anyone ever just pumped in their gas at the gas station and then put the oil in? is it do-able? i seen one thread here where some one did this at the gas station and put the oil in first and the oil went right to the carb and had to clean it out to get it to fire. i really dont want to carry around a gaudy gas can cause im using a chopper style bicycle.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Shut off the petcock first, pour in your oil then pump your gas. What I've seen others do is carry one of those small aluminum camp fuel bottles that backpackers use to have some extra gas on hand.

Saw a aluminum Stanley water bottle on sale the other day that would have been perfect (was even red) but on the bottom it said "Not for fuel" but I have a feeling now that was more because the bottle wouldn't handle being pumped up to pressure for a stove more that anything so the more I think about it the more I feel it would be fine for storage.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I carry enough oil for two one half gallon fill ups.
I do close the petcock just so the pure oil wont get into the fuel line.
Add your pre measured amount of oil to the tank. Then carefully fill up the tank.
I always turn on the pump too high and splash myself.

Shake the bike side to side for a couple of seconds , open petcock and off I go.
I have found I need to be careful parking at some pumps, as some drivers will try to pull on on top of me.

It is fun to say two dollars on pump number 1.
Most other drivers are saying thirty dollars on pump number so and so.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I remember seeing somewhere (may have been here) a 2 cycle oil syringe that had the mixture graduations right on it.

:edit: found it!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have no mixing container you can mix in the tank in a pinch. Mix as you fill the tank. A little gas first then a little oil then more gas. If possible tilt you bike away from the fuel shut off (petcock) as you mix to keep the oil from settling near it. When you're full put the gas cap on and move the bike side to side rapidly to mix the oil/gas. This is just for emergencies; At home you should always mix in a seperate container and shake it well before using.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
im using my standard 2L tank and im a little concerned about running out of gas,has anyone ever just pumped in their gas at the gas station and then put the oil in? is it do-able? i seen one thread here where some one did this at the gas station and put the oil in first and the oil went right to the carb and had to clean it out to get it to fire. i really dont want to carry around a gaudy gas can cause im using a chopper style bicycle.
a neat little trick is to put about 1/3rd a tankfull first....then pour in the oil......then top the tank off and of course keep the fuel valve off when doing so.....I've a lot of experience with two stroke engines since I did lawn maintenance for 27 years....little tricks of the trade !

Later,
Saltybrnot

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
never done it but if i had to i would put in the gas first then using the reading from meter on the pump i would determine the amount of oil to put in. then shake the bike so the fuel gets mixed up. petcock off the whole time obviously.

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
I live about 400 meters away from a gas station.. So i just fill up there with the fuel valve shut off and then ride the bike with the engine off and then pour the oil when i reach back and shake the tank..

So far no problems haha!xct2

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
For containers meant to carry human consumable food and liquids: I have found that some plastics are slowly dissolved with gasoline and oil. Examples are a plastic tube turkey baster from Walmart; it turned cloudy. (I wanted to use it to move small measured quatities of oil around.) Other containers are okay. I mix limited quantities of fuel in containers that held instant coffee with no change in plastic clarity or color. I prefer mixing fuel in containers that clearly were never meant to hold human consumable liquid.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
I have 2 little plastic bottles each hold 2 tabelspoons of 2 cycle oil for one liter {we are on liters here} i go to the station put gas in -use your credit card-then put oil in and shake bike for 40 minutes--did i say fourty i meant 1 minute

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
I take a vitamin bottle (3-4 oz) and put one once of oil in it. Turn the petcock off. When I get to the station, I pump 2-3 oz of gas in it and shake well. Dump that in the tank then add gas to one quarr (.25 gal). then rock the bike from side to side.

So far no issues.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
For containers meant to carry human consumable food and liquids: I have found that some plastics are slowly dissolved with gasoline and oil. Examples are a plastic tube turkey baster from Walmart; it turned cloudy. (I wanted to use it to move small measured quatities of oil around.) Other containers are okay. I mix limited quantities of fuel in containers that held instant coffee with no change in plastic clarity or color. I prefer mixing fuel in containers that clearly were never meant to hold human consumable liquid.

I have opposite opinion. Used a Polish Spring water bottle to hold backup gas for up to 3 years no problem. Gotta change that gas out one of these days.

Cheapest 1 gal gas mixing container was a Hood milk jug which I used for years too. Although these days I prefer Blitz poly gas cans (1 and 6 gal) because of the spout. And they only cost couple bucks.