"DIANA" my super 88 Festiva

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I got this red 88 out in LA shorty after That accident that took Lady Di back in '97.

I had a Nissan 300 at the time and after that wreck I was even more wondering why I was waiting at stoplights three cycles a time, while a big 3 liter 6 cylinder sucked down precious petrol.

There it was it was at Sunset Ford in Westminister- 175,000 miles on it then, but only $700 so I thought I'd take a chance.

Now I still have it, although it's only sort of a summer car after the heater core blew a while back-

271,000 miles on the odometer- and never rebuilt- starts right up every time!

The 1.3 liter 4 banger gets over 35 mpg with only four gears- and it's the most reliable car I've ever owned. Also the car I've now owned the longest. Not a speck of rust on it- has only ever been driven one winter in any cold climate, though it sits outside now.

This car should have propogated like the VW Beetle- because it's sooo much better- water cooled (never overheated even on California desert) quiet, and more powerful- and much better mileage than the bug

More room and twice as dependable- yet still simple- this first year 88 was the only w/ a carburetor, but I like it that way- no electric fuel pump and circuit, and no clogged injectors-

I change the oil about every 1500 miles now and use lots of Gumout in the gas- I think this will run forever sometimes!

Attachments

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Festiva's were good cars.. then when they discontinued them, they got that short lived Ospire that was a POS . supprising you havn't had any trouble with the feedback carb tho, to meet emissions, they were set up goofy.. all carbs of that era were..

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No no. I bought an Aspire to replace this one- they are the same engine and drive train- I didn't sell this one because I thought if the Aspire got smashed, I'd put that low mileage motor into the Festiva.

They're both actually KIA's, sold by Ford.

The aspire's also been quite dependable although a little more complicated- stupid things like TWO O2 sensors. I hate pollution and that's why I buy these cars, but I also DETEST California smog testing! Scam! But it's fuel injected.

So the 96 Aspire , I got in '03 still only has about 80 K on the odometer,

and with 5 gears, I've done better than 42 mpg at 60 on the highway. It's more areo, but less headroom and cargo - the 13" tires are better too. The 12's on the Festiva push a little and wear quicker than they should- but I was getting them new for $15 for a long time.

I'll post a pic when its not the middle of the night. Sleep apnea!

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Well, the Festiva kinda was ( at the time Ford owned part of Kia ).. but it's a Mazda engine/ trans with a Ford logo.. nothing Ford or Kia about it other than they built it to Fords spec.. the Aspire was discontinued in the US due to safety ratings. granted there all better than 12 years old now, but I know of quite a few Festiva's still around. but only maby only 1 or 2 Aspires that havn't met the shreadder...

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
right. Kia DID manufacture them in Korea.. but, they use Mazda engines/ trans, and they were built to Fords spec... at the time Ford owned part of Kia and of course, owned Mazda.. Ford cut ties with Kia around 1997 ( last year for the American Aspire/ Festiva ).. in 1998, the Rio and Sephia came out mainstream and Kia went full force and put dealerships nationwide and turned into what they are today.. b4 '97, the Kia name has existed in the us since 1994, but dealerships wearn't nationwide until 1998