pistons

GoldenMotor.com

legnovore

Dec 14, 2012
oregon
Hi guys, new guy here.
Here's the deal. I ran by bike for a quite a while, till a chunk of needle bearing broke off and got between the piston and cylinder wall, it ate my piston, so I had to get a new piston and some other parts. When the new piston came, I noticed that the new piston sat somewhat lower than the old, grandpa said it wouldn't work, but I noticed that it went above all ports, so I put it in anyway. well it didn't go all the way down to bottom dead center because there was a little too much meat on the bottom of the piston, so I cut it off. (What i'm trying to say here is that the crank pin is positioned higher on the new piston than the old one.) I knew it would reduce compression somewhat, but clearly I underestimated how much.

so my question is , how many different kinds of pistons are out there, and how do I know which is right for my engine?

it's a 66cc from bikeberry.com, new piston from kingsmotorbikes.com

help please,
Matt

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Haha just went through this myself. Get on Ebay and look for a seller called "lucky early bird" send them a message that you want to buy a "low pin" 66 or 68 cc piston. The bottom of the pin bore is about 5/8'' from the bottom of the skirt on the low pin and about 3/4'' for the "high pin" piston. I emailed them and they told me they had both in stock awhile ago and I bought a bunch of them at a decent price.

Cheers.