Squeak when pedaling

GoldenMotor.com

BrandonG

Oct 31, 2012
Gainesville
Hi all, I just finished my first build and love my bike! I'm so glad I found this site as it has helped me with many problems already.

Anyways, When i get on the bike and pedal (engine off)there is a loud squeak coming from the clutch area. When I start the motor it goes away but coasting to a light (clutch handle in) it starts again, and stops as I come to a stop at the light. I tried searching and read about clutch pucks being glazed but the motor has maybe 10-15 miles on it. Also the clutch is properly disengaging when the handle is in- I can let it idle and lift the back wheel and it does not begin to spin.

Any help is appreciated and hopefully it wont be too hard to fix!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like you need to lube the clutch shaft. There are several threads around here on the subject. Someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in, or post a link to one of the threads.

BrandonG

Oct 31, 2012
Gainesville
Yes I did! I took out the 3 screws and removed the cover where the chain goes into the engine and put some white lithium grease from Lowes on the end of the shaft. It was squealing where it meets the post that twists when you pull the clutch cable. Nice and quiet now :)

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I thought maybe your tennis shoes were rubbing on the pedal cranks:) It happens all the time to me when I am riding my road bike. People always say, your bike has a squeak, sounds like somethings wrong, until I tell them it's the shoes.

Glad is was a easy fix.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue