Perfecting the settings on my chinagirl motor

GoldenMotor.com

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
So, I got one of those 80cc chinablocks from zoombicycles.com. After 20 km the plastic tensioner wheel broke off someplace. Purchased a metal wheel ata bearing shop here locally that I think are usually for lawn mowers. Once I finished messing with this, I ran another 40 km. So far so good, however, I think the engine is running lean.

My idler adjustment screw popped off someplace, thankfully it was only a few hundred yards away to a boxstore hardware store (canadian tire). I found some screws there that fit just great! However, on my way home, the engine would stall. Happened a few times. Seemed if I let the engine cool down it would let me rip it again.

I am just scared that;
I am running too lean? The engine gets really hot, so hot, that a I could notice a little bit of vapour or smoke coming off the engine.

Is there a ideal adjustment for the idler screw, and what about the lever on the carb as well? I usually try to keep it in the middle.

This has been a learning experience for me. I read these forums for 2 weeks before I started my kit install.

Also, the engine doesn't seem to kick in as it used to, it will start and idle, but I have to pedal even more than I had to when I started.

I am just scared I will ruin my engine, I cant find a good reference for care and maintenance. And if there is a good thread on this, by all means, share the link and your insight.

Peace from Atlantic Canada

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
Re: Perfecting the settings on my chinagirl

the lever on the carb should be up to start,then all the way down.
the need to run with choke 1/2 closed is telling me you have some kind of leak between carb and engine.
could be your plug is fouled.
i have an issue with fouling plugs myself,still working on breaking it in at 20:1 fuel ratio.
i have been working on my jetting,soldering and drilling to get a burn on my plug.
chocolate brown,or slightly lighter is the goal.

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick

the lever on the carb should be up to start,then all the way down.
the need to run with choke 1/2 closed is telling me you have some kind of leak between carb and engine.
could be your plug is fouled.
i have an issue with fouling plugs myself,still working on breaking it in at 20:1 fuel ratio.
i have been working on my jetting,soldering and drilling to get a burn on my plug.
chocolate brown,or slightly lighter is the goal.
It isn't the need to run the choke half open, its just that I have been out of ignorance.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

In hot weather, you don't need any choke. In mild weather, you don't need any choke.

In wintertime, you need choke.

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick

Thanks mike. I'll give it another run in the morning, since I have to get to work.

majicfingers

Dec 25, 2012
bum****

the cns3 dont have a choke mine runs well with out it took it out left guts in to fill hole

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

How much 2-cycle oil are you mixing into the gas??
And what carburetor do you have.

A standard machine screw can't be used in place of the idle speed screw on the NT carb. The original screw has a smaller diameter shank at the end that engages a slotted ramp in the throttle slide. Unless you grind the end of the screw it will bind against the slide and can damage it. There was also a spring on the original idle speed screw that is there to keep it from vibrating out.

I suspect part of your problem is running with 1/2 choke. It should be open, lever down on the NT carburetor.

When I hear a man say his engine is "running hot" I have to ask, "as compared to what?"

Any internal combustion engine, either water or air cooled is going to get hot enough to burn you if you touch it. Read you spark plug color and it will tell you if you're lean. I also concur that you might have an air (vacuum) leak somewhere in the intake circuit; Either where the carb attaches to the manifold or the intake manifold gasket.

Tom

majicfingers

Dec 25, 2012
bum****

Im also able to start my bike by liftin rear wheel an start it that way fires right up

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT

First try torquing the head bolts. If it runs the same, pull the head off and resurface it with #320 emery sandpaper sheet on a flat surface such as a machine base or new plate of glass. Look for a nice shiny even surface all around. Buy a new head gasket and torque the head in an X pattern evenly. Check for flatness of the carb flange that mounts to the cylinder. resurface if needed. Replace gasket. Make sure the carb is pushed on to the manifold all the way and that the screw is tight.