White wire question.

GoldenMotor.com

fin-addict

Nov 20, 2009
florida
I've read where the white wire can be used as a trickle charger for a 6v battery. Can it be used in the same way for a 12v rechargable battery? THANK YOU!usflg

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
With a fancy toggle switch, yes. Flip one way to charge, the other way to illuminate.
You will need more than just a switch for it to charge properly though.
At least a 4 amp diode for a pulsed dc output. A bridged diode rectifier ( 2 diodes) will not work, so don't go there. It will just kill the ignition signal going to the cdi unit.

Last edited:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
You can convert 6V to 12V...would split the already weak power output to less than 1/2 of what it was at 6V :s

Aaron Parks

Mar 29, 2010
Potterville, MI
You can convert 6V to 12V...would split the already weak power output to less than 1/2 of what it was at 6V :s
And since it's AC, you can do it without too many parts. You can use a half-wave voltage doubler, which has the added benefit of rectification so you'll end up with about 12VDC which is what you want to charge the battery with.

It may steal enough power to make the ignition misbehave... maybe use a current limiting resistor.

Has anyone measured how much power you can safely draw from the white wire at idle? I know it's not much...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy 520

Nope, the white wire does not have to connected to any thing. But should be caped off. I just tape em off with electrical tape and tuck away.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
the white wire should not be used for lights, although some on this forum claim to have designed lights that work with the white wire. its just not a good idea. I use the white wire for connecting my killswitch. Again, members on the forum claim that the white wire can fail, short circuit, or otherwise fry the ignition coil. Been riding MB's for 3 years, never had a problem with the white wire myself. Some members wire the killswitch to the cdi, but im too lazy to figure that out. Easier to just hook one wire from the switch to the white wire and the other from the switch to ground. works the same, no matter what all the negative nellies say.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
It is verry easy to wire to the cdi, it doesnt mater what colour wires you use from the switch just wire them in with the wires off the cdi, no need to find an earth