Confused...help!!!

GoldenMotor.com

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada
My bike is a 21 speed mountain bike (free wheel).

How should I position the 2 circular rubber things...1 inside and one outside the spoke?

What about the chain drive sprocket? Should the shiny side face the spokes or should the dull side face the spokes?

Thanks.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sandwich the spokes between the rubber parts.
As for the sprocket the finish makes no difference. If the sprocket is dished, that is if the teeth are offset to one side or the other you can select which side will give you the best tire and chain stay clearance for the drive chain.
Tom

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada
Sandwich the spokes between the rubber parts.
As for the sprocket the finish makes no difference. If the sprocket is dished, that is if the teeth are offset to one side or the other you can select which side will give you the best tire and chain stay clearance for the drive chain.
Tom
Thanks.

How tight should I torque the nuts and bolts for the sprocket?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
there isn't a torque setting I'm aware of, you tighten the nuts enough to where the rubber/fiber discs will compress a bit as you doing that make sure the sprocket runs true side to side and up and down the up and down is very important to remove as much as possible cause it will effect the chain more make the chain go from tight to loose making the chain more likely to jump off the sprocket. It takes some time to get it trued up but worth the hassle.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
In my opinion .,...........................
Losseee the rubber.
Get a disk brake mount or a hub adapter.

That rag joint will kill you!!!!!!!!!

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada
there isn't a torque setting I'm aware of, you tighten the nuts enough to where the rubber/fiber discs will compress a bit as you doing that make sure the sprocket runs true side to side and up and down the up and down is very important to remove as much as possible cause it will effect the chain more make the chain go from tight to loose making the chain more likely to jump off the sprocket. It takes some time to get it trued up but worth the hassle.
Thanks. Very informative.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Thanks ILMB, I just "sighted in" the sprocket alignment today and found that I should flip the wheel sprocket over. Now, I am aligned by eye, and the drive adaptor has clearence to shift left or right on the hub. I will have no trouble when I dial the chain in. I think this idea just makes total sense and warrents spending some money on or making one. I spent around six hours intermittently on manual equipment to make mine. Probably not economic but hey "I built that".