Engine recommendations for a newbie

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
I've got a 1940 Schwinn to convert to a old time motorcycle/motorbike look. I'm interested in:

1. A four stroke engine, so I don't have to mix oil.

2. New or used.

3. Old time look.

4. Spend around $200.

5. Reliable.

6. Bike able to go about 40mph.

There are so many engines out there that I could use some guidance. All suggestions appreciated.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Ahhhh rijopiatt, first let me say "Welcome to the wonderful world of Motor Bicycling"!

Now, sit right down here, and help yourself to some free BubbleUp, and some Rainbow Pie! Ok, down to business while you enjoy your free refreshments........200.00 budget and 40mph is the goal?

IF I got
an engine free
spent 50.00 on centrifugal clutch
25.00 on rag joint and sprocket
50.00 on peanut tank with cap, petcock, fuel line and filter
25.00 on throttle handle with cable
19.00 on #41 chain (TSC corp)
Hoot mount about 25.00, Grube mount is 50.00, but nicer
we are now at 194.00 not including shipping at 8.00 to 10.00 per item!

And the bike will not pull itself because there is no ratio-reduction inline so that the engine will have enough torque to turn the large diameter of a bicycle wheel.

Can I refill that Free Bubble-up?

On a serious note, it would not be possible for me to pull in a bunch of favors, scrounge and save money on every part, and accomplish the 200.00 budget.

(yes I have enough stuff around here that I could build several without spending any more money, but I'm a 4-stroke guy.)

A friend got a 2hp Briggs free, used a Whizzer drive ring (65.00 + 15 shipping) long rear belt (25.00), a free bike, spent 25.00 on good paint, bought a 65.00 +10.00 shipping front half of a cvt, seat was 25.00, 10.00 idler pulley, made a bunch of parts, had free machine shop at disposal, and it does run, but the ratios are wrong. I do not know what else he may have spent, but I do know I don't have free machine shop time and materials! "Rocket Man" is now at 220.00 in addition of any expenses I was not aware of.

40 MPH is not legal in motor bicycles, and actually not really easy to accomplish either. 30-35 is much more realistic.

Let all of us know what you think?

(below are a 3 of my bikes)

Mike

Attachments

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I love it Mike. I have plenty of parts kicking around and it would still be tuff for me to do it. I think it would be much more realistic for you Rijo, to look at 2 strokes on that budget, and get a smaller sproket and an expansion chamber to get closer to that top speed you are looking for.

beadomtroy

Nov 13, 2009
Washington, DC
What about this 4stroke kit that gasbike.net is selling for $199? Does any of you guys have this kit? I'm thinking about buying this kit for me and a friend, but would I still need to pedal from a dead stop to get going? I've seen some videos where most MB with auto don't pedal at all. Also, was wondering if this is louder or quieter than a stock 2stroke kit (I have a 2stroke mounted on a Micargi Rover and it's a little loud for me). Thanks.
dance1

Last edited:

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
What about this 4stroke kit that gasbike.net is selling for $199? Does any of you guys have this kit? I'm thinking about buying this kit for me and a friend, but would I still need to pedal from a dead stop to get going?

i just ordered one yesterday...for the motor and hardware. what comes with it (as i learned here) is the Hoot Phase I (straight gears) gearbox...notorious for breaking in a short period. the gearbox they have on their site for sale doesnt specify if theyre Phase I or Phase II (improved, but not infallible beveled gears) gearboxes. as soon as it breaks, i'll spend a few bux for a EZmotorbike transmission. theyre bulletproof.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Ahhhh rijopiatt, first let me say "Welcome to the wonderful world of Motor Bicycling"!

Now, sit right down here, and help yourself to some free BubbleUp, and some Rainbow Pie! Ok, down to business while you enjoy your free refreshments........200.00 budget and 40mph is the goal?

IF I got
an engine free
spent 50.00 on centrifugal clutch
25.00 on rag joint and sprocket
50.00 on peanut tank with cap, petcock, fuel line and filter
25.00 on throttle handle with cable
19.00 on #41 chain (TSC corp)
Hoot mount about 25.00, Grube mount is 50.00, but nicer
we are now at 194.00 not including shipping at 8.00 to 10.00 per item!

And the bike will not pull itself because there is no ratio-reduction inline so that the engine will have enough torque to turn the large diameter of a bicycle wheel.

Can I refill that Free Bubble-up?

On a serious note, it would not be possible for me to pull in a bunch of favors, scrounge and save money on every part, and accomplish the 200.00 budget.

(yes I have enough stuff around here that I could build several without spending any more money, but I'm a 4-stroke guy.)

A friend got a 2hp Briggs free, used a Whizzer drive ring (65.00 + 15 shipping) long rear belt (25.00), a free bike, spent 25.00 on good paint, bought a 65.00 +10.00 shipping front half of a cvt, seat was 25.00, 10.00 idler pulley, made a bunch of parts, had free machine shop at disposal, and it does run, but the ratios are wrong. I do not know what else he may have spent, but I do know I don't have free machine shop time and materials! "Rocket Man" is now at 220.00 in addition of any expenses I was not aware of.

40 MPH is not legal in motor bicycles, and actually not really easy to accomplish either. 30-35 is much more realistic.

Let all of us know what you think?

(below are a 3 of my bikes)

Mike
wow that vintage red bike is simply amazing!!(not the wizer) im shocked at how cool that is!!

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
Submitted From Contact Form
Email Address: [email protected]

Comments: i recently placed an order (Order #GasBike12243)for the 4stroke kit. its my understanding that this will come with the (notoriously awful) Phase I gearbox. is this correct? and the gearboxes offered for sale for $80...are they phase I with straight gears, or Phase II with beveled gears? thanks, Happy

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: GasBike.net Contact Form Submission
Date: Sat, January 09, 2010 9:16 am
To: [email protected]

Hi, Jeff:

I have consulted our tech guy.

Actually, the motor kits we sell online are not with the Phase I gearbox since we have some customer complain about it.

From last year, we have reviewed some product with the Phase I gearbox and we decide to take them out of our online store.

If you still have any other concern, please feel free to call us at 818 782 2227 from 11:am to 1:30 pm and ask for David.

He is the best tech guy in our company. Just ask for him and he will answer every question you have.

Thanks for your purchase at Gasbike.net

Have a good day.

Internet Marketing team from Gasbike.net.

ok, so thats good. not the Phase I.