Need a 4stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Hey guys. Im getting a good job soon and I know my 2smoker will get me there but I need to get there with the least amount of problems. I hear 4strokes fall in that category.

Its about 7 or 8 miles one way.

I am thinking about getting a motor from EZ Motors. How much are their new kits???

What kind of bike Can I use that arnt that expensive.

Thanks

~tcams

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im kind of in a rut now...
What should I do?

Im waiting for Jims engine mount still, and was going to ride my electra(when its complete) to work for a few weeks until i got the cash to buy a new engine.
Buying a new bike and 4stroke is going to empy by wallet!!ahh

Or, get a refund from Jim and put my cranny back together and ride that to work until i got the money for a 4stroke? then use my electra to mount the 4stroke engine on.

What do you guys think i should do?

Bill, If I were to drive to FH, would it still be around that same price?

Also, My bike is alluminum and its longer than the cranny by a few or more inches. Do you think the aluminum will hold up to vibrations and what not??

20 questions i know but help me out!

Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Concerning Jim's stuff - it's worth the wait... I'd just find an alternative in the meantime to getcha by till he's managed to catch up.

As for the "aluminum bike" question - my 'Aluminum Comp' Schwinn mountain bike has well over 3500 miles on it now w/a screamin' HT bolted to it (lost track of the milage, GPS batts don't like the cold lol) and shows no signs of fatigue or pending failure and TBH - I've abused the heck outa it lol

The only worrisome things about an aluminum build are chafe (packs/cables rubbin' on stuff), kinking tubing with fasteners/clamps, and drilling excessive holes (a worry w/steel too, but not as much).

Last edited:

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Thanks. My electra is going to be my 2smoker and Im gonna have to get another bike to build my 4stroker. What would be a good bike though??

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Other than the whole 4 stroke clearance thing (someone more familiar w/them would have better advice) I would heartily recommend hunting around for a really nice used bike of high quality than a cheaper new one.

They devalue so quickly and there's such a difference in the quality of the components that I really wonder if the low-cost economy bikes are savin' you that much money when all's tallied up - the wheelsets are a big example.

*shrug* still - no matter what bike ya get, as soon as ya bolt a motor to it - it's ossum in my book lol ;)

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Alright I have been doing some thinking.

I may just buy a cheap bike from walmart or something and if Jim hasnt already started making my mount, call him and ask him if he can make the mount for the cheap bike.

Maybe use my Electra coaster for the EZM or honda.

Here are the specs,http://motorbicycling.com/f15/electra-coaster-13655.html Would I have any problems mounting the motor or with the alluminum frame??

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi, I am making a custom mount for my own steel electra cruiser I will post pics when done. I will use EZM Silent Power, GX50 Honda,
Maniac Mechanic rear 56tooth with adapter,
Whizzer tank with custom mounts, BIG wide saddle,
Whizzer crank or maybe a 3-piece conversion, tho I like the 1-pc solid crank.
EZ Flex-pipe with optional muffler,
"axle adjusters"
bobbed rear fender, (mine is fender-less gloss black model),
CA License plate,
some kind of LED lighting system with Whizzer battery
and anything else I can think of (grin)
I am currently looking into a disc-capable MTB sus for the front, may use that fork with v-brake tho.
I got to get out into the garage to make more motor mount parts.

Mike

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Hi, I am making a custom mount for my own steel electra cruiser I will post pics when done. I will use EZM Silent Power, GX50 Honda,
Maniac Mechanic rear 56tooth with adapter,
Whizzer tank with custom mounts, BIG wide saddle,
Whizzer crank or maybe a 3-piece conversion, tho I like the 1-pc solid crank.
EZ Flex-pipe with optional muffler,
"axle adjusters"
bobbed rear fender, (mine is fender-less gloss black model),
CA License plate,
some kind of LED lighting system with Whizzer battery
and anything else I can think of (grin)
I am currently looking into a disc-capable MTB sus for the front, may use that fork with v-brake tho.
I got to get out into the garage to make more motor mount parts.

Mike
Are you sure its steel. I have the same bike except I painted the electra decals and Mine is aluminum. Keep me posted on that build. Post pics pics n more pics.

You should make a new thread on that build!

My bike has 3 piece cranks too

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I'm no expert on this but it's probably because the 2 strokes have a small sprocket on the engine & a larger one on the back & that's usually it. The 4 strokes have gear boxes coming off the engine & most of the gear ratio work is done in there. This is just my opinion. Many of my friends have 2 strokes, but I've never had one. Let's hear from the experts :)
Jay

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hello Tcam, in order for the high RPM of the engine to turn the very large rear wheel of a bicycle, you need a whole bunch of reduction.

If my memory serves me correctly, the crank gear of the common Garden Variety Chinese 2-stroke is 21 teeth, and the ring gear in the clutch 82 teeth. this would make a 3.90 to 1 ratio. Then you have 10 to 44 which is 4.4 to 1.

When the ratios are multiplied you will get 17.16 to one revolution of the engine. I have an RPM caclutor on my site here Simpson Motor Bikes that would allow you to figure road speed, at rpm.

Obviously you could never spin the wheel every time the crankshaft spins unless your rear wheel was about 2" diameter. With this in mine, the output of a normal 4-stroke engine is actually the end of the crankshaft, so we have to provide external reduction, and that is the weak spot of almost every 4-stroke in use on Motor Bicycles today. It was an "Ill-Famed" Hoot, that caused me to begin experimenting, and building, and caused the creation of EZ Motorbike Inc.

Of the in-frame reductions now in use, there are several continuing complaints by most owners, and an insidious problem that most are not aware of. What, you will probably be asking yourself at this point are the problems? The first problem is excessive noise, growling, howling screeching noises.

BTW, for inquiring minds, YES, that noise does represent significant power loss, do to the lost power to spin those poorly meshed components. The Insidious problem you ask??? Well, even IF the noise level in the China-Box is acceptable, (and some are), there is a lot of power-robbing action in play inside that box.

Between centrifugal mass, friction of meshing teeth, and the load caused by running in grease or oil, you will lose an appreciable amount of power and speed right in the Primary. Just think of walking in the sand at the beach being the teeth meshing and now walk out waist-deep in the water, for the oil in the box. I'm A-fear'ed we ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!

EZM Inc. excels in design and application, and has a real-world solution to the Primary box for today's Motor Bicycles. We are the first American company to step up, design, test, and produce low-loss, QUIET Motor Bicycle Primary cases. We continue to test, and the ownership of the company rides their own product, updating their own bikes, even to the point that, when there have been production changes, we know how the product reacts. We have our ears to the ground, and in the wind, thus we remain in tune with the Product, Owners, and Dealers! This group, the POD, is where we spend our time considering the best interests of all of us. It also contains the most important people in the world to our company.

Ok, on a different subject still related to your questions, my Electra is the steel frame, it is a year or two old, I have not dated it. The alloy bike has 3-piece crank, the steel bike 1 pc. The alloy bike comes with nicer tires, and maybe the wheels are different? My bike has alloy rims, 80 ga SS spokes, and Carlisle type tread pattern on the tires.

I bought mine used from Craigslist for 130 and am tickled silly over the great deal I got!

Mike