oil change

GoldenMotor.com

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
no idea never really had a look yet. on my next oil change ill take a look.

i would like to use a car brake line but im not sure of the thread size is. time to jump into my box of junk :)

cheers

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
I bought the drainzit with the 10mm nipple and used a die to turn it down to 8mm 1.25. But prefered to turn the nipple to 9mm and tap the hole on the engine up from 8mm 1.25 to 9mm 1.25. Of course I had to do it with the motor off so I could have it tipped up so no metal got into the crank area, and I flushed it out with cheap oil to get any particles out.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
here's what I did that was referred to earlier.

As mentioned earlier, the standard drain plug is 8mm. I went down to the hardware store and found a brass plumbing fixture with a male threaded end (part of a compression fitting) that is slightly larger than 8mm- the other end had standard 1/4" pipe thread. I cut standard 8mm threads in the fitting (helps to have a tap and die set) and then drilled the inside of the fitting out so that there would be more flow. On the other end of the fitting, I put a hose barb, then attached about 8 to 10 inches of 1/4" fuel hose.

The hose is now held away from moving parts, up in the air by the seat tube. When it comes time to change oil, just make sure the engine is nice and warm, unclip the hose and point the hose into a drain pan, and take the plug out.

The pics show when I had the petcock on there. Now, I just have a plug. Just as easy and drains quicker.

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I bought the drainzit with the 10mm nipple and used a die to turn it down to 8mm 1.25. But prefered to turn the nipple to 9mm and tap the hole on the engine up from 8mm 1.25 to 9mm 1.25. Of course I had to do it with the motor off so I could have it tipped up so no metal got into the crank area, and I flushed it out with cheap oil to get any particles out.
If you fill the flutes on the tap with grease it will catch almost all of the chips. Usually have to clean it out and refill with grease a couple of times.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
here's what I did that was referred to earlier.

As mentioned earlier, the standard drain plug is 8mm. I went down to the hardware store and found a brass plumbing fixture with a male threaded end (part of a compression fitting) that is slightly larger than 8mm- the other end had standard 1/4" pipe thread. I cut standard 8mm threads in the fitting (helps to have a tap and die set) and then drilled the inside of the fitting out so that there would be more flow. On the other end of the fitting, I put a hose barb, then attached about 8 to 10 inches of 1/4" fuel hose.

The hose is now held away from moving parts, up in the air by the seat tube. When it comes time to change oil, just make sure the engine is nice and warm, unclip the hose and point the hose into a drain pan, and take the plug out.

The pics show when I had the petcock on there. Now, I just have a plug. Just as easy and drains quicker.
Very good idea and neat job.
Elmo