Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I would like to build a cycle car like the one below. Start with a Crosley frame and front end. Crosley's were built in the late 30's and after the war and into the early 50's. They were a small car with a 4 cylinder engine.

I'm thinking that a Toyota engine and transmission with a Toyota rear end would be ideal. After market wire wheels with the Crosley brake drums rebuilt to fit the Toyota bolt pattern.

Probably never happen but it a hope at least. With a Crosley frame and body with a title it could be registered.

Steve.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...3326529366_8724048491763154955_n-jpg.3244908/

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello Steve,
That is nice and real project! The best is possibility of registration as modified classic vehicle...
You couldn't find compelt Crossley with engine and else, then make special body for it in any shape that you want?
I suppose that you have in mind old Corolla with engine at front and power at rear axle? With your talent for wood-work, such "skiff-body" should not be a problem!
Happy planing and maybe building!
Zoran

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That's Kool Steve. And would be nice done like ceder strip canoe are done. But like me got a million projects you would like to do, but lucky to have time for one............curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Zoran,

The only way to get it licensed in Canada would be to find a Crosley that was all there with a poor body that had a Vin # and paperwork. That way it could be brought into Canada and registered in my name and then it would be mine to do what I wanted with it as long as the Vin number tag went with it. It would simply be registered as what ever year the Crosley was as a Crosley.

Looking around the internet I found 2 running engines and transmissions that were reasonable in price. The engines can be built up to produce a lot of horse power for their size. As Curt says it's a dream that could have come true if I was 10 years younger.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Curt,

If I live long enough I'll get to it but the chances are slimmer than my wallet. Maybe after the tri car is done and working and I get the Sportsman Flyer Indian and sidecar done.

If my son finishes up his South American trip and settles here somewhere on the West Coast like he says he is, I'll spring it on him to see if he want's to work on it with me. He's a first class fabricator, mechanic and welder and I'd do the wood part and pay for it.
I'll have to see unfolds over the next couple of years.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi! Steve
That would be Kool, if your son would help. My sons are to busy with there own life to do something like that. I get help but seems just for a day or 2, then off they go.LOL. Also they seem to do it in a couple hours were it takes me all day.

Here we can compile sales slips for all the parts, then have it inspected. If it passes then we get title. .........Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curt,

It is indeed a marvel that the younger fellas can get so much done in a short time. We can only remember when that happened with us.

We can get a home made vehicle licensed like that here as well but it is indeed a hard job. If there is paper work for the parts it so much simpler.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Oh no, there are many lethally high strength beers available these days. They cause great exhaustion of the legs, and people fall down.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hay everyone, i sent a small tidbit to Anne and this is what i got back. Sure glad to here from her.............Curt

Hello Curt,

The simple truth is that this illness I have has advanced to the point where i can do very little without becoming fatigued and as a result I spend most of my time in bed asleep. Don't worry it's not an illness that will kill me, it's just one that's hugely frustrating to live with. I keep myself amused with model-making, though it takes me ages to do things that I would have done without any trouble before. The important thing is for me to not dwell on what I used to be able to do and to keep my mind on the here and now.
Say Hi to everyone for me will you.

Warm regards,

Anne

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank's Curt,

Great news. I hope she does get back here once in a while to see what's happening. Maybe there will be a recovery and she will be able to get back to doing what she loved.

Steve.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It is indeed a marvel that the younger fellas can get so much done in a short time.
We can only remember when that happened with us.
I agree, most everyone our age needs a 'Joe Kid' helper, and it's cool if you can keep a 'broke in' one.

Though not really a Velocar with fairings and all, a pretty cool base to start with is in the shop getting it's final touches now.

I started with this...
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Sun EZ USX HD 21-speed recumbent.
http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11617617.html

I put a 48V ~1KW 7-speed electric shifting system on it with a 12V tap system for lights.
It does ~50mph as it is.

If you need shelter from the weather that is not for you as is, but I think it's a pretty stable base to it start with to make it so.

No kidding, we took it out to try to make it tip over but the darn thing is like it's glued to the road stable. Picture riding really fast go carts when you were a kid, x10 ;-}

[/FONT]

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I agree SB, Anne is missed yet I keep stumbling on her wonderful posts & they not only inform but also elevate my spirits. Indeed feel better dear lady.

As I've posted before KC your electric is awesome and I'm so glad it's proving to be stable as well as fast...a beautiful, functional 21st. century machine. Please don't hide the details under sheet metal or plastic...it rocks just as it is! Rick C.