Bike starts up fine, bogs out after 100 ft , major pain to start up again

GoldenMotor.com
Feb 2, 2017
California
I've had my motor not idle until I found that the carb was not fitted all the way in, or at least not enough so that it covers the slits that are on the carb..... causing the motor to draw air through the slits. Make sure your carb is fitted on the intake so that the slits are closed off and not drawing any air.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yep, either too lean or too rich beyond what normal adjustments would correct for - mechanical problem somewhere at intake or carb

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Text the cli and check the voltage coming from the magneto. Also make sure your jet isn't too big.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
What you may need to do I rejet. .66mm should do the trick. Test all needle settings until you find the one that has it idle. Seal the connection between the manifold and carb with electrical tape. Check all your gaskets. Try a new mag and cdi. Make sure your plug isn't fouled. If none of these work, I can't help ya.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
If it ran fine on your other bike, it shouldn't be the jets. Did you check for air leaks? Get some carb cleaner and start spraying around the carb.

Mr buenomoreno

Feb 13, 2017
San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles
Hey everyone it's been a while since I posted this thread but what I found is the inside of the cylinder wall there was scraping on the intake and exhaust sides of it so I ordered a replacement cylinder and piston head, along with new gaskets and set it to the leanest setting. Started it up today no problem, it idles and pulls just fine, however sometimes when idling the engine revs high and I have to play with the idle screw to get the rpm to go down. Also since the cylinder head is new does this mean I have to go through the breaking in process again?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure of your terminology, as cylinder and head and piston are all separate parts - it will need to get the rings seated again - also, I like to oil the cylinder base gasket when I put a cylinder on just to be sure it doesn't develop a bit of air leak which might cause an idling problem

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
You only have to break it in again if you replaced the piston rings. Put a oring in your carb where it connects to the intake.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Sorry it auto corrected , the cylinder and piston are new. Also Is an air leak in the base of the cylinder (or anywhere else for that matter) what is possibly causing the idle speed to increase on its own
yes, rising idle rate usually means an air leak and that leak can be from the base gasket - just lift it up an inch or so and smear oil on it, then re-torque it down

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I use a spray bottle of water to find them - start motor and spray a mist onto diff parts - when revs drop, you've found where it is going in

Mr buenomoreno

Feb 13, 2017
San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles
So I got a new spark plug which gave the bike a somewhat steady idle without needing to use the choke. That wasn't achievable before so now that it can idle I found another air leak but I'm not sure how to fix this one its between the carb and intake. i should mention im running 8 oz oil:1 gal gas on the leanest needle setting you can see in this video
The piston , piston rings and cylinder were just replaced which is why I'm running that oil gas ratio

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
has to be either that the carb is not sealing onto the intake, or the top cap of carb is cross threaded

one can stick something in carb till it hits the inside stop and measure how far it is in, then make a scratch on intake at that distance to see if carb goes on all the way - while carb is off, look for lumps or cracks on intake

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
As crassius mentioned, check for casting imperfections. I had to file and sand off casting ridges on the intake where the carb mounts. You can check through some older threads as I think some guys have used rtv silicone to seal up air leaks at the carb mount.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Good news. It goes to show you that the problems that come up are usually pretty simple and it's a good idea to go through the real basics when issues come up. Having said that it is easy to overlook things.