Townie with Bafang BBS02

GoldenMotor.com

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I have a Tomnie 3I that I really love and have been thinking about a hub motor but the mid frame motor has a strong appeal. Is there any noise? I think the 3 speed internal hub will give me all the top speed I would need. One of my concerns is range. If you are getting 30 that would work.
Range depends on a bunch of factors, most important- battery/cell type, terrain, speed, gearing, and how much you add to power through pedal assisting the motor. I travel hilly terrain, use a 48V 15 Ah 20 high output ( i think f cell) battery, and have 7 gears. I was able to get 30+ miles when I first got the battery but that dropped off to around 26 after the first year. I don't concentrate on getting the most miles and go fairly fast. I almost always use pedal assist mode but don't try to stretch out the range by going slower and putting more leg power along with the gears. To get 30+ mile range I suggest a 18 to 20 AH battery, mid\standard output battery. 3 speed gearing may be enough with that battery but 6-8 gears would give you better range of gear ratio to get the most effective use of pedal assist, even though you'll find yourself only uses 3 of the gears most of the time.
From what I've read I think the Sick Bike Parts type of mid drive motor setup may allow you to get more range out of the battery than my Bafang BBS02 direct drive. But I don't like the extra chain and gear design, I'm sure it works great for many people but I've seen pictures of people who have had their leg chewed up pretty good.

elewayne

Mar 27, 2009
Longmont Co.
Hey, nice job. thinking about doing the same. How much of the battery box is full of battery? show a pic if you can. I have a mIxtie frame, I, wondering if I'd have room in the middle for the batteries. I have a rear rack but as you say that's a lot of weight where you don't really want it.