That Trike...

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Sorta what I expected drive-train wise...

It's built well enough to pedal, but not motorize.

Ever seen wheels attached like that? Fancy.

My buddy still needs it motorized, so short of replacing it, I guess we'll look into making it right.

As always your learned opinions are encouraged, and thanks!

Trey

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That's a garden tractor differential cant get any better rear end then that. They both drive forward. You could find some garden wheels take the hubs out,make some spoke flanges weld to them on. Atomic Zombie has the how to,to layout the holes on the flanges.
Kind of Kool bike..............Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear made wheel flanges like large washers with the spoke holes drilled in them and I welded them to some hub centers that Curtis had salvaged from a couple of lawn mower wheels. You can buy the hubs by themselves new for around $8.

It went very easily.

Steve.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
That's a 3 speed hub just before the reducer, isn't it?

I kinda like that bike. There's some interesting work there. That fork is kinda funky, though. Right at first I though it was made out of 2x4s.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey, if nothing else it looks like the builder got the sprockets and chain aligned. :)

What about getting rid of those axle flange things and go with 'rag joints'
I had a trike that had one drive wheel and one free wheel. I tried to drive them both but it ended up like driving a car with a 'locked differential' It didn't corner very good so I went back to driving one wheel.
That lawn tractor differential should take care of that for you.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
In the interest of full disclosure; A friend of mine found the ad for this trike, picked it up and delivered it for me. Thanks BA!

The first thing I said when I saw it was "Two by four forks... huh." but when I got close it was, "At least they got the chain aligned."

It will need a little touch up welding to be as sound as I feel ok with. The welder I take it to may disagree, I tend to overdo it. Wheels and tires, cable and lever, saddle (He wants a lounge chair!) and what ever else to make it fit the guy. Plus all the other stuff. Looks like a project.

My buddy who this build is for, is a long time Harley rider who doesn't own a motorcycle anymore. I've been taking pictures of members bikes with my cel phone and showing them to him, and he's into it. Plus he likes my bike because sediment bowls are kewl!

I thank you all for the comments and guidance. I will do some reading, talking with my friend etc, and then I'll have some specific questions.

Recommendations for a low cost fork-set would be helpful, he's gotta budget that.

Trey

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Regular mountain bike fork would work, check the head tube length as it looks like it may be a girls frame to start with and they are 1" longer..................Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You asked for suggestions for a low cost fork set. I like moped forks for several reasons. One, they stretch the bike out a bit, giving a longer footprint. They make for a more comfortable ride and the suspension should help cornering a little. A used fork is priced right. If you go that route, check the diameter of the head tube which is probably 1". Fork and head tube need to match, although you can get an adapter to use a 1" fork in a 1 1'8 head tube. Also check the length of the head tube and look for a fork that is long enough. A little too long you can make up with shims. I've used Tomos, Hercules, light Harley Davidson and Suzuki K-10 forks. I'll never go back to rigid forks. I also like it that the moped forks are usually set up with ears for mounting a substantial headlight. Yes, you can mount a 26" wheel in a moped fork.
SB