66cc Full Suspension Snow Tricycle

GoldenMotor.com

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio

heres what she looks like with some rubber on. lol.got the tires mounted and front brakes working .rolled it down the driveway a few times. this is really going to take some getting used to, because unilke a bicycle it doesnt lean. turning out of the driveway i almost lost control because i was instictively leaning into the turn but the bike wasnt.lol. it will be good for what i need it for though i wont be trying any turns at 25 mph or anything like that, so ill be alright. cant wait to see what torque i get out of that big sprocket though .the ride is super super smooth, the full suspension is amazing.
still have a few things to do before i get everything welded together, shouldnt be too long and i can mount the motor, i still need to weld or maybe just bolt some braces to hold the engine post to hold it up.ive just got vise grips holding the wheels on and the gear case together

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
The very first time I rode my Hercules tricycle I wondered what I'd struck. The thing seemed determined to head off in random directions and pitch me off. I found I got the knack of riding it pretty quickly though and then everything was fine.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You don't realize how much your rely on leaning into curves to make turns on a bike until it has three wheels and you can't lean. I had a similar experience the first time I took off with my sidecar... nearly ran into a tree! It took awhile to get the hang of it and I still prefer two wheels over three, much as I like my sidecar.
SB

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
Hey guys, figured it was time for an update. Finally managed to get some welds on the trike, no thanks to my buddy, he didnt want to open the garage for me so i managed to get a sweet deal on a bad arse arc welder for 30 bucks...this thing goes up to 295 amps..whoop! Anways welded the thing solid and whoever said it wouldnt work because the outside wheel had to spin faster was right. It binded up something terrible on just a slight turn. So i ended up just cutting the axle in two and it works that way. I notice that the drive wheel spins out on the opposite side turn. I wish i could figure out a way to make a clutch type mechanism to where i could engage the second wheel with a brake lever, being as i would only need the second wheel for off roading and snow..can anybody help me come up with something? Ill post a recent pic of what ive done so far.

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
i guess it doesnt look much different except it permanently fastend on. It doesnt show how i cut the axle in two but it does show how much space i have to work with. I was thinking of maybe taking the clutch out of my old engine and trying to weld it to the axles somehow. I know im dreaming but thats how wright brothers brought flight to the world , right? Lol

Last edited:

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
so heres my idea, i pulled the clutch out of an old engine and im trying to figure out how i can mount it similar to a jackshaft. The small bevel gear would hook to the drive side axle, then transfer power to the clutch ring through the shaft and to the small sprocket. I think it will work to transfer the power to the wheel but what about the gear ratio, im worried about the right wheel spinning at a different speed than the left drive wheel when its engaged. Any thoughts on the gear ratio aspect?

Last edited:

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
That looks like a good idea, but do you think it will be feasable to engage something like that while its moving, or would it be best to stop and lock it in.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The fastest and best way out of this is getting a differential rear end out of a lawn tractor (cheaper usually) or looking at Northern Tools web site and then to the go kart parts and buy a differential rear end for $120 last time I looked. It's 38" wide and you may have to have it cut down and the axle ends reworked to fit your wheels or as I will do when I get one which is cut a section out of the axle and sleeve it with some tubing and weld it up.

Steve.

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
I really dont have the time or money to go and buy a tractor dif and then replace everything i just welded together .so i found this 4x4 gear set from an old hub off my truck. I think it will work good set up as a sliding dog clutch, it will only have to slide about 3/8 of an inch and im sure if those gears are strong enough to drive my big mud truck tires it should be strong enough for this. Ill make a sliding pin driven spool, and weld the outside ring solid to the drive axle, i started making the plates for the spool but havent got them rounded out yet.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
That looks like a good idea, but do you think it will be feasable to engage something like that while its moving, or would it be best to stop and lock it in.
Most basic dog clutch systems would be of the stop and lock it in variety, but generally they can be shifted at low rotational speeds provided the power is kept off while shifting.
Morgan and some other cyclecar makers successfully used simple dog clutches on the final drive to shift ratios on a two speed chain drive system.

Edit: That old hub looks like it would make the basis of a good dog clutch system. Something tells me that you'd never be able to wear it out :D

Last edited:

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
So i finally got this thing on the road, the clutch works in theory but couldnt get it to slide just right and it really didnt make a difference on the snow anyways. It gets right through everything even snow about a foot thick if im going fast enough.

kdaddy1980

May 22, 2013
Ohio
thanks guys, this has definitly been a challange but im satisfied with the results, it does the job. i can pull two kids or load it up with 100 lbs of groceries and haul them rain, snow, or sunshine.