My official testing of several different aftermarket CDIs

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Again... if you go back & thoroughly read the entire thread, you'll find the answers to most of your questions.

In my 16 years of building (& racing) these engines, I've never seen one that had such high compression that a stock box couldn't adequately handle... I've only seen a few engines that the Gasbike CDI worked a little better on because of it's milder timing curve & stronger spark.

& to be real honest... I'm skeptical of these 'high performance CDIs that that look like nothing more than a stock CDI molded in a different color plastic & a fancy wire.... Because there are lot of sellers out there selling snake oil.

So anyways... I'm kinda done being the only guy to waste his time on this subject... (I already posted what I've learned).

I'm inviting you to 'pick up the torch' & spend your hard earned money & time buying all the newest CDIs & testing them on different levels of performance engines... & then you can post your results here for everyone to question & criticize; (as they did to me).

Good luck, & we're all looking forward to reading your test results! (^)

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil

Azeus

Oct 10, 2023
Again... if you go back & thoroughly read the entire thread, you'll find the answers to most of your questions.

In my 16 years of building (& racing) these engines, I've never seen one that had such high compression that a stock box couldn't adequately handle... I've only seen a few engines that the Gasbike CDI worked a little better on because of it's milder timing curve & stronger spark.

& to be real honest... I'm skeptical of these 'high performance CDIs that that look like nothing more than a stock CDI molded in a different color plastic & a fancy wire.... Because there are lot of sellers out there selling snake oil.

So anyways... I'm kinda done being the only guy to waste his time on this subject... (I already posted what I've learned).

I'm inviting you to 'pick up the torch' & spend your hard earned money & time buying all the newest CDIs & testing them on different levels of performance engines... & then you can post your results here for everyone to question & criticize; (as they did to me).

Will do, thanks for the advice!

Solarsyst

Jan 17, 2024
Here's some of the different aftermarket CDIs that I tested with the results...

*edit*>>> The numbers posted are the total advance degrees @ 3000 RPM, & the 'number of turns' is the total outward turns on the coil voltage tester.

All the CDIs that I tested (even the stock Chinese black boxes) have a advance curve of roughly 25-30 degrees.

Most of the stock Chinese boxes maxed out around 5-10 turns, (but one particular Chinese box maxed out at a whopping 20 turns)!!!

My 12v timing light was having a bit of trouble reading the 6v sparks at low RPMs, but I was able to see quick flashes of where the timing curves started.

View attachment 76905

View attachment 76906

View attachment 76907

View attachment 76908
Gas Bike just re-named this the 'Super Rocket' CDI

View attachment 76909
Gas Bike just re-named this the 'Thunder' CDI.

So after digging a bit I have come to the conclusion that the Gasbike CDI is being sold with different names from other vendors. However the CDI ignition coil can be ordered from aliexpress.com for a whopping 1 USD. I am unable to find the box which they use. I'm pretty intrested in finding out what it is. Because BikeBerry sell their between 30-50 USD (no key lock and keylock). The ignition coils appear to be 12v. I had a major preformance boost with BBR Tuning Stage 2 12v box. I without any doubt would find them to be The same timings. The Stage 2 Box however is a little larger. Has anybody been able to pin point the name to this mysterious box? I guess their called Ignitors.

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California

Norm, you may feel like you are "wasting time" on this post but there are those of us who not only benefit from your posts but appreciate your vast wealth of experience and knowledge.

It would cost literally thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to learn what you share here.

You rock big dawg!

Reactions: Venice Motor Bikes

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
This is what I use. Mine has lasted me several years and paid for itself over again.

It's @$25 bucks
I guess I forgot to post the link.