Scrounging pays off yet again!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Found a pile of rims and two suspension frames the other day and scored this gem in the pile of steel rims from a roadmaster explosion...
A nice disc front wheel in great shape under some dirt.
I also just happen to have a manual disc caliper from a scooter that fits the disc perfectly.
It even has a steel mounting plate already sized right to simply weld it on the fork leg super easy. Sometimes things just fall together!
I'll post some pics when I get around to the conversion

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What a great find! Those junk piles are full of neat stuff.
Keep us informed and post some pix.

You probably know this but for the benefit of others here's a trick for fabricating a caliper mount.

Make your brackets then clamp the caliper to the rotor by locking the actuator arm in the braked position. With the caliper tight on the rotor you'll know exactly where to tack weld the caliper brackets. Tack them, take things apart then make your final weld to the fork.

Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I ride anyway just because so I kinda have a route I check.
Lot's of bicycle honey holes so to speak.
I've honed my scrounging skills over 40 years and several states....it's always paid off taking the time to really explore.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
This is exactly how I built my trailer by scrounging shopping cart and jogging stroller and ten bucks in hardware and a couple hours are having fun .

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
maniac
we have similar pleasure in finding the treasures-- kind of like destiny --rather than the order- pay and wait routine
I have over 30 years doing the scrapyards of la know the owners a long time
but it is kind of in my blood --my Russian grandfather started with a pushcart in New York City after escaping Russia during the Russian revolution

his scraping and my father's ingenuity rubbed off
it is just too cool to buy a craftsman drill press or rigid mitering saw for 25 bucks and I won't even get into what I pay for some sensational bikes and motors -antique items machines of all makes and descriptions --inventions in the making --metal of all types and description for 10-25% of the cost the retail buyers pay fill my 95 beater Nissan maxima to the brim and then some worrying the black AND whites are going to want to know just what the he-- I am doing with everything in -on -and around my car as I cruise home with the days treasures --when as I said destiny plays its hand

it's an addiction that is hard to break-- treasure hunting-- but drives my wife crazy-- she just does not get it or maybe it is me who does not get it with the yards full of stuff and just goat trails to maneuver through
but it warms my soul -- just my stuff

happy hunting one and all

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My problem has never been finding stuff...
It's the never throwing anything away that clogs up the yard.
(And the surest way to need something is to throw something away)