thatsdax friction drive engine choice?

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy2

Jan 28, 2013
utah
Hey guys first off just wanted to say thanks for the help on my first build. now im looking into building my dual suspension nishiki with a thatsdax friction drive. I live in the rocky mountains and want to be able to climb decent grades without pedaling. We have the less than 50cc rule here so my powerplant will be limited by displacement. my question is what are some engines that will bolt up to the dax kit so i can weigh my options? im considering the titan 50 for reliability and ease of the 4 stroke but am still completrly open minded to other options including another 2 stroke. any recomendations?.crt.

fasteddy2

Jan 28, 2013
utah
35 is not bad at all. as long as i can cruise at 30 and still climb any paved surface. i wonder what other engines will bolt up besides the tanaka 40, the titan 50, and the cag motors?

northernlights

Mar 25, 2013
Michigan
Im doing the same research right now and i found smallenginewarehouse.com has the honda gx35 and gxh50 but does anyone know how to mount a 78mm clutch to any shaft drive engine because Harbor Freight tools has a nice 78 cc horizontal shaft engine 4stroke for $99 and for the price i would like to start with that any info would help!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you want to climb rocky mountain grades without pedaling, you're probably not going to have much top "cruising speed". You might want the 4 stroke and use the smaller roller in the kit. You should be able to go faster downhills by picking up the drive roller off the tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_5zi05Uzs
Video of riders on 4stroke titans driving in Utah hills and moutains.

videographer comment: grabir01 2 years ago
Engine is a TITAN XC50 4 stroke. Roller size is 1.25 inch. Friction drive sold and made by DAX and can be found at thatsdax.com fro around 129 bucks. Also. I did no pedalling at all. Enjoy the ride..

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Thanks. I love Tanakas. I mean the Chang Yung engine you mention. I've never seen one of those here (Suburban NE Texas). I don't know who sells them. (prefer online shopping)