Won't start, no gas in line

GoldenMotor.com

toddrobert38

Nov 6, 2011
Miami Beach
Well I had my spark plug cleaned yesterday, and lost in a myriad of variables now I can't even get my bike to start. For some reason theres no gas in the line even though there is plenty in the tank. It was running choppy before, I though due to using to high an octane for awhile, but now I'm not sure if it wasn't damage from a fall to the carb, or now if the spark plug isn't in exactly right.

Either way that doesnt explain the no gas in the fuel line thing. I keep playing with the fuel line switch but nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Todd

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Have you removed the fuel line from the fuel valve and checked for flow?
The fuel should flow out rather quickly, a small stream. If it is a dribble or nothing at all you have problems.
I bet the fuel valve screen is clogged.
The fuel tanks are well known for having alot of rust and junk inside them from the factory and the screen clogs up quickly.
If you find no flow or very slow flow, the best recommended thing to do is unthread the valve from the fuel tank, remove the screen, and use a quality in line fuel filter instead. If the fuel filter clogs up you can simply remove it and flush it out or replace it.

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
Todd, I had trouble with the kit fuel valve. so I replaced it with a brass fitting from the local hardware store. i use an inline filter. you should have a filter inline anyways. and I use the fuel shut off valve on the engine. I liked having the fuel shut off valve right out of the tank in case I needed to work on the fuel line, but there are ways to work around that. The rubber gasket in the fuel valve was messed up and not allowing fuel through on mine. could check that to see.

good luck

fred

toddrobert38

Nov 6, 2011
Miami Beach
thanks guys. when we took the line off gas came out so that wasnt the problem. the throttle cable had gotten wrapped around the handlebars and prevented it from working. im not sure if that was the only real problem but i had a scooter mechanic take a look at it and he got it running again so im pretty happy.

ive still got this banging that happens though when i backpedal (try to slow down) I think its a chain issue. I sure hope its not in the motor. Between it and the bike not running I thought I had killed it but it seems they are two separate issues.

if you have any ideas about the banging (loose chain?) please feel free. id really appreciate it and thanks for your advice. its great to know that the forum exists when trouble occurs.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How much freeplay do you have in the engine drive chain?
You want about 1/2 inch measured in the middle of the span between the sprockets.
I always test on the lower chain run, other folks like to test on the upper one.