clutch lever does nothing

GoldenMotor.com

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
new engine. same problem with both new engines i have. pulling on the clutch lever does not disengage the clutch. the acutator arm is fairly wobbly and loose. when I pull the lever, the cable pulls the arm until it stops parallel to, and against the case. the cable spring doesnt return the lever, and the cable is just loose and bound in the handlebar lever assembly.
I have read many theads that quickly go off topic, and do not answer the problem. seems fairly common. any takers?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your cable is too loose. You want it tight, with little to no slack when the handlebar lever is un-squeezed, or in the engaged position.
Tighten your cable and make sure the cable stop on the clutch actuator arm end is not slipping.
Get back to us after you tighten the cable and DO NOT start playing with the flower nut or any other clutch adjustments until after you have the cable adjusted properly.
Tom

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Your cable is too loose. You want it tight, with little to no slack when the handlebar lever is un-squeezed, or in the engaged position.
Tighten your cable and make sure the cable stop on the clutch actuator arm end is not slipping.
Get back to us after you tighten the cable and DO NOT start playing with the flower nut or any other clutch adjustments until after you have the cable adjusted properly.
Tom
thnaks Tom. yeah, I put some smooth excessive force on the actuator arm and it gave way. so i realized, you mount the cable stay on the cable against the actuator arm at "full-to-case" moment. none of that slacky arm stuff. (I think this is where people go wrong. the arm is to be TIGHT against the case) when the clutch is dis-engaged, the actuator is inboard of the case cover at a 30* angle. (nowhere did it mention that anywhere)
thank you so much for the help. ( I was on to the flower nut next) HA!!.

1st build- can ya tell?