is this worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

kzbesner

Jul 26, 2010
Ottawa Ontario
last year i came across a thread about a dual tail-pipe mod where u drill a 1/4" hole into the back of the muffle. not only gives it a more ballsy sound but its supposed to give u more power.

does it actually give you more power?
is it worth it?
i know backpressure is important with these things.

will it give me more speed? or will its decrease it?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
If drilling a hole in the muffler would produce more power and NOT draw innordinate attention, everyone would do it.

A straight open expansion chamber will get you the most horsepower for your dollar.

(You can take THAT to the bank!)

Best
rc

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
I had the stock Skyhawk GT5 muffler on my hog and then that fell apart while i was riding so I put a spare one I had from another kit (PK-80). The second exhaust looks a little different and definitely has more backpressure than the first.

I guess what I'm saying is it probably depends on what your exhaust is like, but at least some exhausts could benefit from a lower backpressure. I've been planning on drilling some holes in it. Try taking the bottom part of the exhaust completely off and riding it like that to see the difference. When the first one fell apart, it was like this, and you could definitely notice some more power, but it was louder than a chainsaw.

Still, the difference between normal exhaust and "basically no exhaust" wasn't huge so I'm not sure that drilling the hole will have too much of an impact.