Flip-Flop Hub Sprocket Mount

GoldenMotor.com

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
The sprocket was not threaded. It has a hole I ground in it just larger than the threads. I slipped it on the hub, screwed the ring on untill it seated, and tacked it. Then I removed it to add more welds.

I considered welding a ring on each side for more strength, but I have tried similar things (like welding two nuts together while on a bolt), and the threads always seem to bind.

What type of threads are on your hubs left hand side? Are they the same size and pitch as the right hand side just reversed? What parts besides the BGF sprocket have you found that fit? I could not find anything on the staton site (so much to look through there, I did not even know where to look). If it is slightly smaller than the freewheel side it may be the same as a fixed gear cog lockring.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The sprocket was not threaded. It has a hole I ground in it just larger than the threads. I slipped it on the hub, screwed the ring on untill it seated, and tacked it. Then I removed it to add more welds.

I considered welding a ring on each side for more strength, but I have tried similar things (like welding two nuts together while on a bolt), and the threads always seem to bind.

What type of threads are on your hubs left hand side? Are they the same size and pitch as the right hand side just reversed? What parts besides the BGF sprocket have you found that fit? I could not find anything on the staton site (so much to look through there, I did not even know where to look). If it is slightly smaller than the freewheel side it may be the same as a fixed gear cog lockring.
They're standard thread size and pitch - just in reversed direction.

Well, I know it's the same size threads as the BGF set cause the sprocket went on each one (BGF/Staton). Also, when I was at the BMX shop, I asked to check out a southpaw fixed gear sprocket which was threaded, and it threaded right up onto the Staton. That's enough decuctive reasoning to know that it's standard thread size and pitch, just reverse.

I've scoured Staton's site, and they don't have what I need. What I rigged up is a freewheeled flange, with a bolt on sprocket, with the flange's internals frozen up. I'd really like to find just a threaded flange without a freewheel - then just bolt off and bolt on the sprocket... but I think that would involve buying whole new HD axle kit, which I'd rather avoid. I wouldn't mind so much if I could find just the flange or the flange and sprocket with nothing else included, then I could buy several and test different modification styles out and hopefully come up with a way to get my target goal done.

The true supreme target is to take the BGF styled flange, and install some sort of locking pin, so I can turn on and off the freewheel. I try not say it anymore, cause people try and upsell the Hybriped, but that's just a glorified rag joint and they don't get that the big purpose is to do away with the rag joint.

Basically, lefthand threaded hub, left hand threaded sprocket setup, freewheeling sprocket, no pullstart.

I want this cake, but I want to eat it too. : )

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Yea DTGoat, I'm gonna start looking for a Left handed dye in the standard pitch and start making hard spocketed rear wheels. This is getting ubserd this simple product not being out there after all this motorbike craze since 04 or so. Or if there is it's over done and/or over priced. Geeez the've come out with allmost everything else ! Heck you think someone would come out with a $20-30 simple hub or a little more for a rear wheel ready to go. It's kinda stupid since it's such a fundimental aspect of building a motorized bicycle..xx.