Worlds Biggest 2 Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
So, do ya still gotta mix the diesel fuel with Opti-2 ? :)
Tom
2 stroke diesels actully have exhaust valves, but they open and close on every stroke, so there a bit diffrent than gas 2 strokes, and do have an oil pan/ resivore... makes you wonder how many 55 gallon drums of oil it takes to fill.. at ~$500 per 55 gallon drum, and a guestimate that it takes over 500 gallons of oil.. that's 1 expensive oil change.. not to mention the oil filter should be able to hold 1/3 of the oil, so that's 1 big oil filter..

still, those 2 stroke diesels create a nice harmony out the exhaust.. company I used to work for had a '79 GMC brigadier with a 6/71 Detroit diesel in it which was used to pull various trailers around. used to know when it was coming, and if it was pulling a hill, you could see the black smoke from a mile away

all diesel/ electric locomotives use 2 stroke diesels

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I used to paint UPS delivery trucks for Grumman Olson in the early 70's. I could consume almost The equivalent amount of coffee as these engines could oil . And that was vending machine coffee ,it tasted like oil .

Attachments

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
I used to paint UPS delivery trucks for Grumman Olson in the early 70's. I could consume almost The equivalent amount of coffee as these engines could oil . And that was vending machine coffee ,it tasted like oil .
Ummm, I had a 73 Grumman that UPS had retired. Nice paint job, kind of boring, but well done.;>)

Actually, I think that is how the oil was recycled....they made coffee out of it.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
laffI always wondered what happened to those trucks after UPS was done with it . They were fun to drive , I used to take them out back and do cats with them in the snow . We called them the Brown Monsters . Did you use your truck for work or to go to the drive-in
?

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
laffI always wondered what happened to those trucks after UPS was done with it . They were fun to drive , I used to take them out back and do cats with them in the snow . We called them the Brown Monsters . Did you use your truck for work or to go to the drive-in
?
Nah, drive ins were gone by that time. I used it as a service truck for my equipment. Had a gas drive welder, torch set, bunch of wrenches, and the hitch receiver on the back would take a vise that could be pinned in place. Even had a piece of rail road track welded to the bumper for an anvil. Good old truck, I remember the wheel track was wider than a normal vehicle, so it was a bear in snow or mud with ruts. One side would ride the rut, and the other would try to hop in and out. Made it a little more stable on turns though. Best part was the aluminum body didn't rust. Dang thing looked like new until the frame rusted out from under it.