We can stop calling it 80cc

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've tried...

but I can't quite manage to ban the deluded before they spout lol, best to just correct - then leave it to us to clean up the mess.

It's when the emo starts I feel like a janitor

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
If ya think ya need waders around here go hang out at a truck stop on a barstool where the truckers hang out it gets even deeper there.

On a side note I bought a 48cc from zoom which came with a different muffler (much louder) when I put it on the grubee 48cc it went WAY faster. It was going 25 mph per auto clockin me I am not sure but I think it is actually goin 40 mph now. The only thing you need to do is go somewhere remote and take you muffler off wearing ear plugs and you will see the difference there could be with a more open exhaust. I thought I was winding the engine too far out before this now I know it was fighting against the baffle constriction.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Is that why people are saying their engines are faster??? Their exaust is just louder & flows better???
Yessir I was pretty amazed. Both these kits are <50cc but the zoom came with a chrome muffler with a heat shield way louder than the grubee came with. If you read it I was using the motorkote and it made it sound like a scooter well it's loud as ever now.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One aspect of the 80cc 'misinformation' thing that no one has brought up is explained very nicley by Chris Hill. He freely admits that his engines are not 80cc but goes into detail how to determine true displacement and goes on to explain that the Internet has been inundated with that number by so many sellers that the search engines only see 80cc. Not 66, or 47 or whatever. A newbie, like Bairdco says, will search for the biggest thing he can find and there's 80cc, so he goes there, and maybe buys an engine. Chris Hill says he dislikes the 'false advertising' but to be competitive with all the others he lists his engines as 80cc then when the potential buyer visits his website he can read the truth. Not just my opinion. Read before you buy. Most of us know the truth but the new comer is at the mercy of the seller's honesty.
Tom

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just looked on Zoombicycles.com and found their Jet 80cc listing. Zoombicycles FREE SHIPPING - Jet Silver 80cc Gas Bicycle Engine Kit | Bicycle Engine Kits | RuiHong Enterprises Ltd. On the description page I found the term "80cc" mentioned five times. At the very bottom of the long page I found this:
Important Note:
Over the years our manufacturers have advertised their largest sized engines as 80cc engines and therefore is listed in the same manner on our site. However based on the results provided at the time of EPA Testing and Certification, these engines have been recorded with a true displacement of 68.5cc being the largest sized among all bicycle engines currently on the market. There are currently no true 80cc engines on the market to date and we want to make you aware of this.
What kind of crap is that? Basically saying, "Our manufacturers lied to us, so we'll lie to you too even though we are now assured of the true displacement." This little tidbit of information negates what they already stated numerous times above.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
For most money is much more important then honesty. I remember reading on average, a person will be dishonest or lie many times in one day. The number was quite high.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I just looked on Zoombicycles.com and found their Jet 80cc listing. Zoombicycles FREE SHIPPING - Jet Silver 80cc Gas Bicycle Engine Kit | Bicycle Engine Kits | RuiHong Enterprises Ltd. On the description page I found the term "80cc" mentioned five times. At the very bottom of the long page I found this:

Quote:
Important Note:
Over the years our manufacturers have advertised their largest sized engines as 80cc engines and therefore is listed in the same manner on our site. However based on the results provided at the time of EPA Testing and Certification, these engines have been recorded with a true displacement of 68.5cc being the largest sized among all bicycle engines currently on the market. There are currently no true 80cc engines on the market to date and we want to make you aware of this.

What kind of crap is that? Basically saying, "Our manufacturers lied to us, so we'll lie to you too even though we are now assured of the true displacement." This little tidbit of information negates what they already stated numerous times above.
Yes HT it is contradictory, but if you read Tom's post you can readily see why they do it. The potential new buyer has already found that the 80cc search buzz-word produces results, so he uses it for future product searches. "80cc" produces results with the search engines. If Zoom didn't use the 80cc buzz-word, the potential buyer may not find the Zoom site.

It's commendable, really, on their part that they made the effort to educate the buyer.

Jim

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I used to have a small electric bike and needed to replace the batterys after only a few months of using it. I looked at weed wackers and chain saws at the local store,nope too much work. i was going to buy a new electric scooter online but the woman from the company called me and cancelled my order cause shes said the scooter was too small for me and she wanted me to buy a more expensive model,but i said no. then i looked online for a small gas engine kit for a bike, I didn't need a big engine just something that went 15mph or faster(thats the fastest my electric bike would go,but only had a 5 mile range). i found that you would get a whole kit and all the needed parts with your engine in a kit, i ordered from gasbike.net cause the kit came with a pullstart and centrifugal clutch plus a manual one, i never expected that it would go twice as fast as the electric one and instead of a 5 mile range it would go 90 miles before putting more gas in the tank.

So to me it doesn't matter how many ccs my 48cc engine has.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
when i was looking to buy my first kit, i wanted the biggest one, so naturally, i looked into the "80."

it only took me 2 or 3 websites to realize it wasn't really an 80. i got over it, and purchased the 66, 68.5, 60 whatever something...

the information is out there, easily accessable, and there's only been one or two dealers that i've seen that didn't have the true displacement in obvious view on their websites.

the explanation for the way the chinese measure displacement compared to the rest of the world made sense to me (the explanation, not the reason,) and i bought accordingly.

if people who haven't built one yet talk to me about my bike and ask me, i tell them it's an 80, but give them a quick explanation why it's really a 66. if it's someone who knows motorcycles and engines, i tell them it's a 66.

most people just want to know three things. how much it costs, how fast does it go, and if it's legal.

i lie about all three.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Right to the point, you said exactly what I started to write.

I exaggerate or lie when they ask me but I usually come clean. And tell them the correct size and speed. I bought the 66/80cc cause of my weight I was not sure if the 48cc would even move with me on it. Picture this, a man 280 pounds on a bike doing close to fifty miles per hour. Engine running with the clutch pulled in. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill and coasting to a slower speed, so I could use what brakes I had left to stop the bike I was a nervous wreck. Yes a 66/80cc can do a good almost 50 mph down a steep enough hill in idle. That speed was taken by my friend in a car.

when i was looking to buy my first kit, i wanted the biggest one, so naturally, i looked into the "80."

it only took me 2 or 3 websites to realize it wasn't really an 80. i got over it, and purchased the 66, 68.5, 60 whatever something...

the information is out there, easily accessable, and there's only been one or two dealers that i've seen that didn't have the true displacement in obvious view on their websites.

the explanation for the way the chinese measure displacement compared to the rest of the world made sense to me (the explanation, not the reason,) and i bought accordingly.

if people who haven't built one yet talk to me about my bike and ask me, i tell them it's an 80, but give them a quick explanation why it's really a 66. if it's someone who knows motorcycles and engines, i tell them it's a 66.

most people just want to know three things. how much it costs, how fast does it go, and if it's legal.

i lie about all three.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let me think about this...Actually Baird, the shipping weight should be more on the smaller displacement engine; more metal. The 80cc has a bigger bore, less metal so shipping an 80cc should be cheaper than shipping the smaller one...And now that I think about it, the 80 should cost less too for the same reason, less metal, more air space. :)
Tom