Helooooooooowwww

GoldenMotor.com

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Newb from Astoria Or.
I own and run a small automotive / motorcycle fab shop here.
Got roped into building a bike for guy last month who will be riding it across the country.
He's headed back to Al. via the west coast....
I had never built or been exposed to the whole " motorized bicycle thing " until that job.
Ended up building a board bike replica and a trailer for the guy with a China girl 66cc kit.
I'm now hooked.
Just prepped a cruiser frame for my next build ( a keeper) .
Thought I'd better find a community for tech support.
So here I am.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Im Pretty new here too, Welcome!
I hope you will document your build so the rest of us can see how everything goes :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome aboard, Boxcar. You've come to the right place to share your knowledge and get all the help you'll need to build a successful motorized bicycle.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Welcome boxcar, FIRST thing, Tell the guy thats trying to go cross country on a 2 stroke to carry a spare engine. either that or go with a four stroke. 2 strokes are NOT the most reliable engines in the world.
And heck yeah, Post pics of your build in progress. We're all here to help if needed.
fatdaddy.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
You're gonna get a call within hours of his departure.....welcome to a helpful forum

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Boxcar, welcome. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Ya always need 3. The one your ridding. The one your building and the one you have planned, lol.

For that trailer, how'd ya hitch it? Planning some pushers and looking for ideas. Wanna do a ball/regular type but easy to find is to big.

Any way, welcome and ride safe!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
You're gonna get a call within hours of his departure.....welcome to a helpful forum
I can already guess the discussion..........
(ring-a-ling)..... HELLO:
Hey Boxcar, This is DUDE:
Yeah, Hey dude, whats up.:
Is there any way you could get yer truck and pick up me and my broke ass bike? I made it about 50 miles then the chain fell off, wraped up in the wheel and took out half the spokes in the process. The chain came off because I think the piston froze and locked up the engine.:
.. Sure bro,I'll come get ya, got any money for gas?:
UH, No. Not really.....................

This I know from personal experience.
fatdaddy

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
"Dude" called tonight from Coos bay... A long ways south of here (231 miles) Sez he's having a blast and the bike and trailer are working great.
If it blows , he knows how to get a new engine and how to install it.
Personally I think the guy's nuts.
The hitch was fab'd using a quick disconnect air chuck ( steel ) and a Chevy steering "U" joint...

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Uber cool, Boxcar! Best of luck to him.

...and congrats on an obviously well constructed and engineered build. First 10 miles much less 238, if nothing has failed, fubared or faltered, well, gotta be a record of some sort.

Does he have internet or smart phone? Really cool to map progress of such lun, er missions. lol

Ask him to start a thread? Would give him access to MBers and help from members along the way. Great group of people who would be into helping out a fellow what ever we are.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Thats really awesome :D I kind of envy you gas Powered Pedlers what with the Ranges on those beasts. Id have to take a 3 hour break every 15-20 miles to recharge x_x

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Dude is a very brave Lad. I dont trust a fresh build to go downtown and back. I gotta take it around the block eight or ten times first. I hate being any more than a block away from the toolbox when something fubar's.
Tell dude, next time ya talk to him, The guy's, (And gal's.) at MBC wish him all the best.
fatdaddy.usflg
P.S. IS there any way for DUDE to send pictures for you to post. THAt would be the COOLEST, Pics of the country he's riding, and pics of the bike all loaded up and ready to go. We all wish we were riding beside him.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Dude is a very brave Lad. WOW i gues,yep would like to see some pictures also. And can't wait to see what you come up with for a build............Curt

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Next time he calls I will have him send some pics.
Dude is a 68 year old , semi homeless Vet.
I met him through a friend who was helping him out.
Dude (Pan head Roy ) had walk't from Alabama to Vancouver BC, where his hip failed him.
He some how ended up in Astoria.
When I met him I was building a bobber and finishing up a restoration on a Honda Pilot.
He asked if I could build him a motorized bike to ride home on.
At the time I thought he men't across town.
I sed SURE , sounds like fun to me.......
Later I found out what he men't by home.
I offer'd to buy him a buss ticket home , didn't fit into his bucket list though.
So the build was on.
The bike is a modified 20" road bike frame with Deore kit.
27" wheels etc and a China girl motor kit from an unknown supplier. Bone stock.
Trailer is the back end of an old Sears 3 wheeler with a fab'd up goose neck.
I broke it in on non synthetic mixing oil that I had in the shop , sweetend with a dash of caster oil.
Then sent him on his way running Bell Ray and pump gas.
He left me with $50 and a hand shake. Love the guy.....
Now you know the story... I'm sure Roy will be just fine.
PS: Roy is kind of old school. He's a phone booth kind of guy.
But he has a nice old Codak. I'll develop what ever pics he sends and post them....

Last edited:

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
This may not be the place for this update .
As I mentioned it here first , I didn't know where else to post it.
Dude ( pan head Roy ) called last night from Anaheim CA.
Bike is running good. He has had a few problems.
He crashed in Florence Or. destroyed a peddle. Then lost the stock CDI near the Oregon border.
New CDI from a local some where in K-Falls and he was back on his way.
Still waiting for him to send pics.....
By my clock , that's over 1000 miles ( so far ) on a stock Song Top china doll.
Roy may hold some kind of world record.

Labrat: I will be there....

Last edited:

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Unless you posted a Topic about this guys travles Im sure this is the proper place for updates on the traveler :)