2-stroke electric starter??

GoldenMotor.com

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Amen Brother! I could not have said that any better. Im with you 100%, if your not mechanicly inclined you should really reconsider even trying to make one of these things work. As far as the pull start go,s don't knock it till you try it. I have started my bike way more than 25 times with no problem,s.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would just put a small 24v hub motor on the front and use a couple of SLAs to get rolling. It's a proven, simple system that will cost less than the KTM kit and require no machining.
Another idea is to use just an electric hub motor (sans wheel) connected to the drive train with a jackshaft.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
GearNut has the best idea in my opinion. It would be great if you could just make an attachment to use the drill to start it. This is how a lot of people start nitro RC cars. Cut a hole in one of the covers, and make a coupler so you can just quick spin it up.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I was talking about this with someone a while back.

Take a deep nut and make a line in the top of it - replace the magnet's nut with this one.

Cut a hole in the magneto casing and really clean up the edged then get a rubber stopper to plug it.

Now, take a large tipped flathead and chop it down, now you've got a starter bit for a drill.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
What about a friction drive starter motor of some sort, after the gas engine kicks in, the starter becomes a generator to charge the starting system. Probably as simple and cost effective as we are gonna get for a happy time starter configuration.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What about a friction drive starter motor of some sort, after the gas engine kicks in, the starter becomes a generator to charge the starting system. Probably as simple and cost effective as we are gonna get for a happy time starter configuration.
It is a promising idea. You're good at thinking out of the box! We never got anywhere with that three speed left hand sprocket cluster deal though, or at least I didn't.

Yes, maybe the bike gets started with the rear wheel off the ground through the friction roller against the tire... and with the electric starting motor going to a battery... and with the gas motor started now the electric motor becomes a generator as you said, replenishing the battery and also giving juice to lights. Sounds like magic. How do you do that? This idea of yours is worth pursuing and could be a game changer.

Just remembering an early days of electric bikes motor I have that had a friction drive roller on it and was actually a Bosch starting motor for a small automobile. It engaged with the front wheel, so would need to be adapted majorly, but the starter motor from a small car has potential. The one I have is not all that big. I'll take a picture of it. What kind of electronics would be necessary to make it act as a generator to recharge the starting battery and provide lighting?
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Here are some photos of the motor I was talking about. This was originally on a Sun three wheeler from the late 1960's I think and was one of the first "electric" bicycles. These motors were also sold for two wheelers. Speed was on and off with a button to activate. There was a hand brake lever like on a kit clutch which could be locked and that engaged and disengaged the drive wheel from the front wheel of the bike. I tried this to see what it was like and it moved the rig down the road alright, but you needed a decent battery to make it go. Originally they used one from like a garden tractor. Heavy. It is 12 volt, of course.

This would have plenty of power to start a motor, I think. As the drive wheel is it might tend to eat tires if in contact with the wheel all the time. A larger wheel of rubber like someone right now is using on the friction drive Predator thread would no doubt be easier on the tire. Also as it is the starter would stick out to the side of the bike some and that might be awkward... don't know. I would guess it could be set up so that instead of a direct drive it might have a little jackshaft to re direct the power to the roller and have everything tucked behind the seat post more centrally.

I'm not too savvy with electronics, but hope this is at least a kind of starting point in thinking about how this could be done. If nothing else it is something to eliminate. Someone else will have a better idea of that than me.
SB

Attachments

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
A small motor would could be mounted on the set tube and drive the rear wheel, I am thinking a heavy duty drill motor might work, but I am good for ideas, not so much for fabbing...

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
You've said that a few times tim turbo - what about a DIY idea that ISN'T a pullstart, and is rather a... [[RE: 2-stroke electric starter??]]

Norm obviously knows about the pullstart - but his customer wants an electric starter.

I say we get some R&D going and find a way to get a key ignition start going on.

I'm thinking low power standard keyed ignition that is powered off a roller generator. Pedal the bike charge some juice up and turn the key while you're riding. Capacitors should be enough to keep the charge once you feed em a bit and cut down on the weight of SLA batteries.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
I don't understand why the urgent need for an electric start on a bike? The reasoning being the operator can not muster the power to start the motor manuelly? If that be the case I wonder if they should be on a bike, let alone a powered one!!!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Who says it has to be "urgent"? If it hasn't been done, it should be done, or at least a valid mechanical reasoning be deduced why it CAN'T be done. We don't have to do it in 15 minutes, but this thread's been up for a week and there really should be better conceptual ideas for it being 38 posts deep.

A pull start might be a quick and easy bandage for the want of an electric start, but to use it as a way to avoid a great piece of engineering is just lazy thinking - not to be taken personally, but that's why engineering hasn't advanced as far as it should have since steam technology in the 18th century. There's too many simple, time saving, cost saving bandages.

EDIT :

This thread is the second result when searching on google for two stroke electric starter. There should be a solution here.

Pocket Bike Stock Parts
http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Starter_Motor_s/132.htm

There is a motor with electric start here on this first page, as well as three electric starters, CDI's for electric start, and solenoids.

The second page has 2 additional starters, both with drive teeth.

Last edited:

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
i always thought about building a friction drive starter........ but out of a car alternator that way it can power my lights and as a charger system

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think the central idea of this thread was that the customer has bum knees and the normal way of starting a bike with the shift kit would be difficult for him. A pull start would answer that problem in what is probably the simplest and most cost effective way and would be kind to the customer's knees. This is all providing the pedal does not run into the bit of additional width due to the pull start assembly. A pull start can be added on to any China girl motor for somewhere around $25.00 if I remember right. It would be nice if someone did an aftermarket pull start of superior quality or even just the guts of the pull start.
Which does not take away from thoughts about how to do an electric start. Norm wanted to know if something was available now. Apparently not. Hopefully there will be some experimentation and some viable options from forum members willing to pursue this. I'm not one of them. A pull start is too simple a solution and involves no batteries, starter motor, etc.
Another option worth considering (but maybe not for Norm's customer) is a kick start for the SBP arrangement. I see that Harry76 has made up one which engages a small gear on the end of his jackshaft. This can be seen on the Villiars Beach Cruiser build thread. I haven't given this much thought and maybe there is a reason why it could not work with the SBP kit, but if it works with a jackshaft on Harry76's then I don't see why it couldn't with the shift kit with the addition of a slightly longer shaft so that the little gear could fit on the end. Kick start is cool. I know, this thread is supposed to be about an electric starter. That's it from me on this subject. Carry on and good luck. Gentlemen, start your engines!
SB