HELP! New to motorized cruisers

GoldenMotor.com

dtbman

May 27, 2011
worcester
Hello,
I am new to motorized bicycles and new to working with motors in general. Recently, I installed a Lucky Early Bird 2 stroke engine. I am in the process of breaking it in, not riding it for more than .5hrs at a time and using a 16:1 gasil mix. My plan was to keep this up for the 1st 300miles, just like the manual says. It was running fine. However, the bike no longer moves forward when I give it gas. When I give it gas the engine revs but no torque to move the chain? After reading posts I am suspicious of the gasil mixture. Therefore, I'm going to test with new mixture. If this doesn't work what should I do? Thanks a bunch.

dtbman

May 27, 2011
worcester
Hello Greg,
Thanks for the reply. I think the clutch is working because the chain freely moves only when the clutch is disengaged? For some reason I'm not getting any torque.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Have you removed the right side cover and looked at the gears? Put a small amount of grease on the gears teeth, some of these engines have grease some have little to none. with this cover removed roll the bike back and forth and look for problems.

dtbman

May 27, 2011
worcester
Hi Greg,
I have not removed clutch cover to look for problems. However, there was grease on gears when I got the kit. The clutch and motor were working fine. I took bike out for ride. After, I let it rest for couple hours and when I went to go for another ride the bike would rev but not move forward upon giving it gas. I'll look at clutch like you suggest. Thanks,
Dan

dtbman

May 27, 2011
worcester
Re: Giving gas motor revs engine but does not move bike anymore?

Hello Greg,
I got around to removing the clutch cover. I moved bike back and forth with cover off. As expected, this requires effort as the clutch remains engaged at all times when the cover is off. The small sprocket turns with the chain. Everything appears to be OK. However, I'm not sure what to look for. In other words I probably wouldn't even notice if something was wrong as I am not familiar with the mechanics of a clutch system. Is there anything obvious I should be looking for? Should the small sprocket be moving in and out with the clutch??? Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

dtbman

May 27, 2011
worcester
Hi Greg,
I removed clutch cover on right side and moved the bike back and forth with clutch engaged and also disengaged. When the clutch is engaged, the big gear rotates, which in turn, rotates the smaller gear. The outside metal plate (I'm assuming this is the clutch plate or pressure plate?) also turns with the gears. When the clutch is disengaged, the metal plate is push outward, away from the engine. The plate turns but the gears do not. There did not appear to be a significant amount of grease on the gear teeth. Anything else I should be looking for? Thanks,
Dan

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Go to the classic threads on the main page and search for clutch adjustment, you will find detailed pics. and help there.