Front fork suspension?

GoldenMotor.com

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Hi, Im looking at getting a front fork suspension for my mainly onroad motorized bike. Been rather souped up and goes damn fast.

Wondering.. Are there any bad brands to stay away from or really good brands to try and get? (that are not outragiously expensive)
What kinda price can I expect to pay for some low end shocks? the local bike place quoted $300.. that seemed kinda pricey as a new bike is only like $600 with disk brakes and shocks.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
With my single speed cruiser bike I replaced the existing front fork with a average grade suspension fork from a used bike. With this I gained a suspension ride and front brakes. Two years later and riding daily, it was a good move with no complaints.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Check E-bay. Generally you can find a used set of actual shock forks for around $75. some of the shocks on the new dept store cheapies are just spring forks, which help considerably too.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
You want a brand that you can get rebuild parts for, and you want forks that have fluid dampening. That's the two main problems with the cheap generic forks--they have neither.

$300 is about right for the current-year low-end MTB shock forks.
If you look around you can usually find the low-end Rock Shox forks from 1-2 years ago on clearance for around $150 or so.
~

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
try to find a local bike co-op i volenteer at one and we have so may forks we can get rid of them we sell em for 10 bucks

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
HTML:
try to find a local bike co-op i volenteer at one and we have so may forks we can get rid of them we sell em for 10 bucks[/QUOTE

So true, I bought some 28" monocque? for 5 bux recently ay a NOLA co-op.

They preformed WAY better than my Micargi springer forks. Also had a great slightly stretched look with 26" wheel .

Can't figure out how to cross post the pix :~/

Wayne Z

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The first thing you have to know is what kind of forks you're looking for. Older cruisers are 1" diameter and newer bikes are usually bigger and won't fit your head tube. Also, threaded or non threaded is a factor to consider. For an older cruiser a set of vintage moped forks is a good bet.
SB

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Yea I recently figured out its a 1" threaded headset..
Local bike store had some 1" threaded forks.. but they where for a 29" roadbike or something, Skinny tires bigger then mine anyway.. And the threaded part was wayy to high for my headset anyway.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Here is a link to some older 1 inch steer tube suspension forks.
www.NYCBikes.com
They have 2 brands for 26 inch wheels, the RST Omni and Suntour M3000. I have purchased both and the Suntour is a much better fork. They are both very low end but if you are just using them on a street bike they both work fine.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I installed a Rockshox fork on my Raleigh cruiser. Best thing I did, besides motorizing it.Before, all my stuff would fly outa my front basket when I hit a pothole.dance1

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Check E-bay. Generally you can find ...
Umm, NOT. Junk that needs shipping for the most part on E-pay.
Try your local Craigs List listing under Bikes.
You may be able to buy a whole mountain bike with front suspension for cheap and get a bonus.

Just my 2 cents, but I am total agreement about shocks and good tires.

Good hand grips too. I like the $5 a package BMX foam ones. The first thing I do with with a new motor kit is cut off it's throttle grip and throw the other side one away.
The foam BMX's will slip over the throttle barrel fine, you can cut each side to length, and they are way more comfortable than the hard plastic stock crap ones the kits include.