my new Project

GoldenMotor.com

sellouma

Jan 8, 2010
New York
well, based on the inspiring ideas that i got from this beautiful site, i decided to get me a second motorized bike(the first one i built for my 64 years old father who lives in Morocco, and who is having a blast riding it everywhere, but that is another story).
so after going crazy looking in fleebay for a Schwinn Stingray chopper for 2 MONTHS, i found it in NYC!!! i couldn't believe it because they are extremely rare to see them here.so i picked it up from this cool guy who is a drummer, and he owns 3 of them!! the one i got was in the storage and it's been ridden once.I got it for 90 dollars.
I ordered the motor mount from Barry. i must say that it is a very good one, little bit expensive, considering the material used, but it saves time, so it is worth it.
i didn't have to add more chain links as some people said the did, but the one that came with the engine kit was enough.i had to use the chain tensionner though, I would have preferred not to, but then i would have to replace the 44T sprocket with the 50T.
Now, the exhaust pipe that came the kit is a joke.i would have been nice if they made it with a longer neck so there is enough room for the pedal and the frame to clear.
i had to go the big hardware store, to get a 1/2 inch(diameter) EMT pipe(costs S1.35) and a pipe bender($32) and shaped the long exhaust.I m giving it to a friend so he can weld it back together.
that is all I will be waiting for, to fire up the engine.
one thing to keep in mind, and this is from my first project: before you start the engine,make sure the clutch has enough LUBRICANT in it, grease that is.
Open the clutch compartment(where the clutch arm is attached) and lubricate the pin and also unscrew the bold that hold the clutch cable, you will see a whole, make sure you put grease or light grade oil in it too.
i will show you in the picture what i m talking about with arrows. not to forget the right engine clutch.open the cover and put a small gob of grease at gear mesh erea.
I learned my lesson when i first started my father's bike. I started the engine and everything was fine, i hopped on it and took it for a spin. by the time i drove around the block and came back , the damn clutch locked on me, and i almost crashed against the car that was in front of me.i had to carry the bike on my shoulder. good thing i was near home.
i'm adding pictures of my project.i hope it will help others in theirs too.
Cheers usflg

Attachments

Last edited:

sellouma

Jan 8, 2010
New York
I like it, i just finished mine same as your but without those hangers, been riding most of the day and loving it
i just got the modified muffler, and icouldn't wait until the weekend to mount it and start the engine for the first time, so i did yesterday around 10pm.it was very cold, but that didn't stop me.it was worth it.
i encountered a small problem though.as i can't store the bike outside, i left it in the living room.around 3am , i woke up to have a glass of water and found out the living room was reeking of gasoline smell!!the damn gas tank was leaking from the shut off spigot.
this morning , i had to empty the tank, wrap teflon tape around the spigot treads, et VOILA!!! problem solved. started the engine after pedaling 1/2 a block, drove it 10 blocks to have the engine die on me, and i was late for work!!! i took it home and drove to work.:-||
now, when i go back home, i have to figure out what the heck happen.
could it be from the spark plug?