Aluminum or steel

GoldenMotor.com

what is your frame made from?

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just wondering what the ratio of steel frames vs aluminum or exotic materials. Can choose more then one if you have multiple MBs.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Love my Moon dawg John-John! Did you try a bent seat post on her? Makes it a sweet lil MB

Have to try a 4 smoker on her. Gonna be tight. But her tubes are so perfect for a chinagirl, dunno. Really is an awesome frame and love the fenders. (That just let go and tried to kill me, lol. all my own dang fault)

Don't have a pic with the bent seat post but really, really makes it a much better ride

Attachments

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Dan,Im being serious when I say this that everytime i get on my bike for a longer ride I think of your moondog and the bent seat post you have and how I need to get it over with and buy one
I tend to set at the very back of the seat to get the semi effect of a bent seat feel....
I just ordered a fletcher style rear rack and want to have it mounted up to see how much the bent seat will get in the way....It shouldnt be a problem becouse I plan on buying saddle bags to mount on the sides of the new rack.....
John-John.shft.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
John-John, I really do swear by em. Made that MB a joy. b4 it felt sort of "toyish" dunno. I am 2 open shop soon and you convinced me to offer bent seat posts. I have to ask Tom if I can copy his. Thing is awesome. Know I sent you a link but here it is again. Can't go wrong for 11 bucks. Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Bent Seat Post with Support 1"

Gonna call my kits and company "Shelly Motor Bikes" After the dawg, lol Was gonna be Carol bikes but 4shore, I will be getting sued in short order and want to keep her insulated. Suing the dog won't get folks much other then some saliva soaked dawg toys

Attachments

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Dan, I bent my ST seatpost w/ support on a pothole at speed. Nearly sat on my rear tire. If I bought another I'd reinforce it!

P.S. Shelly is a great dog to tribute w/ your business name. Best of Luck!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, not getting how the poll thing works. So far 140% of us use either steel or aluminum.

Wow TS! Bet that was scary. The one Tom made for me is solid. You would have to weigh 1400 LBS and be stump jumpin' to bend it, snork. Called your biz line, but was late on a Sunday today. We really gotta talk. Dang exciting.

Bairdco!!! that is an incredible thunk! (Should be a thread) Really great idea. Love this hobby. Always some thing to learn and really enjoy the DIY or home remedy stuff.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Had to vote for steel because you left unobtanium off the poll. :D

You could call your company Carol Shelly, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. lol

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
John-John, I really do swear by em. Made that MB a joy. b4 it felt sort of "toyish" dunno. I am 2 open shop soon and you convinced me to offer bent seat posts. I have to ask Tom if I can copy his. Thing is awesome. Know I sent you a link but here it is again. Can't go wrong for 11 bucks. Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Bent Seat Post with Support 1"

Gonna call my kits and company "Shelly Motor Bikes" After the dawg, lol Was gonna be Carol bikes but 4shore, I will be getting sued in short order and want to keep her insulated. Suing the dog won't get folks much other then some saliva soaked dawg toys
Dan,If your opening shop I want in on it!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol just kidding,man I hope you do good....The link for the seat post at spookytooth,is that the one you have?I want to make sure it will fit my moondog.....
Thanks
John-John
P.S. Im thinking of opening a shop myself....Call it the moonshine gang(sell illegal liquior by the gallon)This is one of my partners in crime,hes from the hillbilly hills(I cant tell you were or it will give our location away)lol....

Attachments

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I just built an aluminum shwinn point beach looks like pee wees bike lol and built a steel huffy cranbrook the cranbrook is finished it rides so sweet thanks to j at pirates for the PK AND all the billet stuff i got for it FIRST 2 CRUISERS I BUILT CANT WAIT TO FINISH THE SHWINN tomorrow had to buy solder and shrink tube for my engine wires

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I just built an aluminum shwinn point beach looks like pee wees bike lol and built a steel huffy cranbrook the cranbrook is finished it rides so sweet thanks to j at pirates for the PK AND all the billet stuff i got for it FIRST 2 CRUISERS I BUILT CANT WAIT TO FINISH THE SHWINN tomorrow had to buy solder and shrink tube for my engine wires
Flybytaco,I want pictures man pictures!!!!I plan on buying a cranbrook next week and want to see how you did the mounting for it....If you would let me know what kind of modifications you had to do to the cranbrook for the engine mounts and any other issues I will have to deal with....It would be much appriciated....My second thought was to buy the point beach so let me know how that turns out as well and let me know which one I should go with.....An extra 80 bucks might be worth it to get the point beach....
John-John

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Did no modifications to my Cranbrook whatsoever to mount the engine, well unless you consider bending the chain guard strut to get the engine as low in the frame as possible and adding two 5/16" nuts between the rear mount and the block as spacers.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
the only issue was i had to put a pocket dent in the pipe took a half inch ratchet extension marked the pipe where it hit the frame and dented it also had to heat and bend it to the right so it wouldnt hit the pedal. had to remove and cut the original chain guard to clear bottom of motor, had to cut the rear fender to clear the drive chain, mounted right up you just have to remove the original chain guard before you fit motor. the point beach went right together.. I highly recomend the billet sprocket adapter and 40 tooth sprocket from j at pirates.. tell him, rick sent you he will hook you up he doesnt make tons off parts.. he even has motor kits I use PK's there the best in my book.. I'm at work but will post u some pics buddy.. BTW both are for sale

also had to modify pipe because i think a drunk chinaman might have put it in the jig and welded it wrong lol

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
the only issue was i had to put a pocket dent in the pipe took a half inch ratchet extension marked the pipe where it hit the frame and dented it also had to heat and bend it to the right so it wouldnt hit the pedal. had to remove and cut the original chain guard to clear bottom of motor, had to cut the rear fender to clear the drive chain, mounted right up you just have to remove the original chain guard before you fit motor. the point beach went right together.. I highly recomend the billet sprocket adapter and 40 tooth sprocket from j at pirates.. tell him, rick sent you he will hook you up he doesnt make tons off parts.. he even has motor kits I use PK's there the best in my book.. I'm at work but will post u some pics buddy.. BTW both are for sale

also had to modify pipe because i think a drunk chinaman might have put it in the jig and welded it wrong lol
Thanks for the info and help....I will start my build in the next couple of weeks....
Cant wait to see the pics....
John-John

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Aluminum is...

o_O

Dangit - I can't think of a rhyme :p

I likes it anyway, but I really don't think one is "better" than another - it all depends on application and interests lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Vibes a lot with a 2 smoker, but dang she looks cool. (odd fit to the down tube) LOL @ "pewee" She gets called that a lot

Attachments

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I chose steel for my first m-bike, because if I had to modify the frame I knew that welding steel would be easier. As it went, I ended up cutting that frame totally up (using only the bottom bracket and head tube).

I am casually planning a second bike that will be steel also, but I will not be cutting up another frame this time. I'll just buy the steerin' and pedalin' tubes from Nova or Gaerlen.
~

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Vibes a lot with a 2 smoker, but dang she looks cool. (odd fit to the down tube) LOL @ "pewee" She gets called that a lot
Dan,did you have to drill a whole to mount your 2 stroke in the point beach,or use a U clamp or did it just mount up fine????
John-John