Electronic Guru's, little help please

GoldenMotor.com

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
I'm stuck on a never ending quest to charge a li-ion battery pack. After months of teaching myself electronics, I managed to build an internally mounted alternator(modified magnito), rectifier, high powered LED driver, and I got a cmb/pcb working to safely charge and discharge li-ion's at the same time. Last thing I need is a boost converter that can get up to 16-17v.

I think I got it, can someone please look this over for me.(so I can at least be ready for the explosion)

The only thing I have no idea about is, is this going to be capable of sustaining the correct output 16volts or is it still going to vary with RPM? I think it's just a step up converter not really a boost puck.

Attachments

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
A Li-Ion charger needs to be computer controlled. If you put too much current into a Li-Ion, you will fry it. If you don't taper off the current as you reach the full-charge state, you will fry it. If your charging voltage is too high, like how most NiCad and NiMH batteries are charged - you guessed it - you will fry it. Also, if you just constantly feed it a voltage like how lead-acid batteries are maintained, it will ruin its longevity.

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
I know that's what the cmb/pcb "charge management board" is for, I'm already using li-ion pack i built. If over charged or decharged too much they burst into flames.

4.20V Max per cell for charging and 2.30V per cell for discharge