Loss of engine power and muffler cap missing

GoldenMotor.com

fume555

Aug 24, 2008
Dallas,TX
Hey guys. I noticed that my bike has recently lost a significant amount of power in the last 3 days. I can only reach up to 23mph top speed and before I could get it up to around 33. Also I lost the cap to my muffler which makes it extremely loud and after about 20 mins of riding, parts of the muffler turn red hot and when I rev the engine high the muffler blows flames sometimes. My mpg is also low, like 40 miles per gallon to the gallon.. 20 miles per tank.. what the **** is wrong?

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
Is the choke on? Leaving it on will kill gas millage, and it won't reach top speed.
What's the color of the spark plug?
Do you have the muffler with a catalytic converter?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Without your muffler cap your motor is most likely running too lean!!

Red Hot...Flames :eek:

Fix your muffler or richen your carb adjustment with the e-clip or your are going to toast your motor if you have not already

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
weird.

i pull the baffle out of all my personal bikes' exhausts, and each time have gained a very noticeable increase in power.

never heard of anyone losing power.

weird.

First I drilled my baffle, loss power...rich and leaned it out trying to get it to run better, no dice.

I also cut my baffle out and had the same problem...lost top speed and power. So I welded everything back up and it is now all back to stock and runs just fine.

fume555

Aug 24, 2008
Dallas,TX
tylerlough: the choke is only on when I warm up the engine and when it's warm I choke it off all the way. I just recently cleaned my sparkplug because it was fouled with black carbon build up. I'll check my plug 2morrow.
I dont believe I have a muffler with a catalytic converter.. not sure what it is but I dont believe I have it.

fairracing31: yeah, litteraly my muffler blows out a flame when I rev it high and the middle and bottom part of the muffler is red hot coal after a while of running. I REALLY would like to improvise the missing tip.. maybe I could take my muffler to a shop and see if they have the same size for a cheap price and hopefully I could just buy the cap seperately. The muffler on kingsmotorbikes.com is $25 and i'm going to order 2 chain tensioners and MAYBE a new muffler...

spunout:Before I lost power in my engine, I was about to go about 33mph top speed with my muffler cap gone (baffle I think is what its called?). Then after a while I lost my engine power and whenever I full throttle it for 3-5 seconds, the rev sounds like it's about to explode; it sounds like it's not supposed to do that.

Also I'm getting EXTREMELY low mpg.. 50mpg if I cruise at a 17mph.